To Virtuemart Staffs - Forum default setting needs to be changed-NotifyMe

Started by Minz, January 25, 2009, 05:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minz

Hi Staffs,

I noticed that by default you are NOT to receive 'notification' to your threads.
Nobody's aware of that!

Many people unknowingly assumed their questions being ignored even when someone has answered it. This is because their 'Notify Me' is unchecked by default.

Say you ask someone by replying to his/her thread, there is 5% chance of getting a reply from that person. That person's not gonna know that someone needs him, just because his 'notification' off.

Anyone thinks this is something important. Please reply with supporting words.
Thanks!  ;)

TonyG

Hi

I totally agree with you, I think the current default settings need changing. Notification email by default makes a lot more sense to me.

I hope one of the Moderators, Soeren or Greg will see to this.

aravot

If you install SMF or phpbb by default this option is disabled, it is up to user to enable it.

I like opt-in not opt-out, however I checked couldn't find a global setting for this.

Minz

This is what I found...

"If you had loads of users and you wanted to notify them on every post, your sever would soon crash. Hence why there is no feature like this." (by default)

But is there anyway you can hack so that 'Additional Options.." is preloaded? That way people would see it before they post their thread. I think that would help a lot. See pic.

Thanks!  :D

aravot

I know what you meant, there is no global option for that, you can go to your profile and enable it.

We won't be hacking SMF, as we are not familiar with SMF code.

jenkinhill

Peter, I agree with leaving it as a user option. One of my Joomla! clients hacked SMF to force notify on and was overwhelmed by the spam complaints that came from forum users who had posted even many weeks before and forgot about the site until somebody added another message to what was a finished thread. And this was with a user base of a few hundred.

I suggested that if he wanted to keep the option then he close all threads that were old or had been answered.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum