News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Reviews going missing?

Started by celticwebs, February 17, 2014, 20:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celticwebs

We've been getting emails stating a review has been posted about a product.  We go into the admin and it's not there.  Are we looking in the wrong place?  It;s happened a number of times now and I'm concerned that customers a re leaving reviews and I can't find them to publish.  there are 7 Reviews there but they are all published and not the ones that we've been getting emails for.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks
Celtic.

celticwebs

Should I take it that nobody else gets this issue?  We're updated to the mist recent release and we still get the emails but can't find the reviews!

lindapowers

Yes you are not alone, im getting exactly the same issue in VM 2.5.5

Happened like 3 times already. We recieve an email but no sign of the review in the backend or frontend.

Regards

celticwebs

Thank you!  At least I know I'm not going out of my mind!

Do any of the devs have any ideas what's causing this?  More importantly how to fix it?

It's really weird issue that we've had for a while but hadn't realised!

celticwebs

I've discovered something strange.  If I login in the front end as myself (superuser), the review appears in the admin, it's unpublished but it's there.  If I login as just a simple registered user, the review doesn't appear in the admin backend.

So it's obviously some kind of permission issue...

Any help to a dev to debug the issue?

celticwebs

I just answered my own question!

What you need to do is go into VM administration, then into config the configuration again.  From there you will see "Permissions" in the top right.  Into there and then go to products int the permissions list.  You will see the different user levels, if you open up registered or any other level you will see Reviews & Ratings, you'll see it's denied.  Change that to enabled and from then on  any review posted will appear in the list ready for you to publish! 

I'm sure this is a bug, I'm just amazed it's never been brought up before.

Anyway, I hope that help anybody else who has the same issue!

lindapowers

Quote from: celticwebs on April 06, 2014, 22:53:14 PM
I just answered my own question!

What you need to do is go into VM administration, then into config the configuration again.  From there you will see "Permissions" in the top right.  Into there and then go to products int the permissions list.  You will see the different user levels, if you open up registered or any other level you will see Reviews & Ratings, you'll see it's denied.  Change that to enabled and from then on  any review posted will appear in the list ready for you to publish! 

I'm sure this is a bug, I'm just amazed it's never been brought up before.

Anyway, I hope that help anybody else who has the same issue!

I tried this but didnt work for me, the review is still missing, we use autopublish.

What is clear here is that there is definetly something not working in the review system.

Regards

celticwebs

Just thought I'd let you know it was short lived, I'd tested a few times and it seemed to work but I now realise it's still not working, they get emails but there's never a review to publish!  The really weird thing is the system won't allow that person to post a second review, it says the e already reviewed but it's nowhere to be found!

It just makes no sense and I'm very surprised it's not been corrected by now!

GJC Web Design

GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

celticwebs

Lol, not touting for business at all there then lol.
Thanks for the suggestion though.  Currently I'm hunting to try and get back the lost ones if at all possible.  After that I may well look into your component.  I'm sure there'll be a hearty discount available for it if course ;)

GJC Web Design

he he - tout is my middle name..... got to keep the wolf from the door...

Think I once gave a discount but after extensive medical and psycological treatment I have now been announced cured...

Doesn't change the fact that my all singing - all dancing reviews package is what every VM user dreamed of...  ;D

are they actually in your table  jos_virtuemart_rating_reviews  ?
GJC Web Design
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component

celticwebs

I'll look forward to my free review copy then.  Free is of course not a discount at all then so you'll feel better when you get a decent review against it.

celticwebs

Quote from: GJC Web Design on May 06, 2014, 13:42:38 PM

are they actually in your table  jos_virtuemart_rating_reviews  ?

No weirdly they are not.  But the really strange thing is that once a user has put a review on a product, even if it doesn't show up, they can't post a review again.  It's really got me stumped!  There's obviously another table somewhere that says a user has placed a review on a certain product.  So I'd need to ensure they could Post again before I spent out money getting your review component. 

Do you know where the flag is to say they've placed a review on a product?  If I could find those I could contact that customer and ask them to repost the review once I added your review plugin....

Looking forward to your reply ;)

GJC Web Design

That another advantage of my product - reviews are completely separate from the VM comp - i.e. they can only make a review if they bought the product and all the separate products ordered, reviews etc are in a separate component so even if products are deleted etc - the reviews remain

In THEIR account admin they can see their reviews , what ones are missing etc .. you as admin can as well  - plus full moderator access etc

I see 2 other reviews related tables
_virtuemart_rating_votes
_virtuemart_ratings
GJC Web Design