News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Tax, profit margins & discounts, and override

Started by DiveO2, May 19, 2012, 14:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveO2

This is a question, a statement, a discussion and advice (all in one)

I have Joomla 2.5.4, vm2 2.0.6, PHP 5.3.10

I've been searching and asking questions about showing and setting up tax and discounts etc and getting nowhere fast.

Firstly, I couldn't get the shopping basket to display or calculate tax. This was fixed by turning off SEF url's
My basket now shows most of the things I need:

This next bit is my 'mock-up' of the shopping basket

Name                 SKU           Price              QTY / Update            Tax                Discount                    Total

My item           XXX01           £9.98               1                         £1.98               blank  :(                   £11.86
+ photo

Product prices result                                                              £1.98                                                £11.86

Shipment

Cash on collection

Total:                                                                                    £1.98                                                £11.86

As you can see, it looks mainly OK, however, I cannot get anything in the discount column.
I've tried adding/removing a % 'price modifier before tax' (and EVERY option there) without success.

I'm in the UK and therefore, VAT is currently 20%

I was trying to add a customer as a trade account. I've set up a calculation rule called 'trade discount' where I wish to give this group a 10% discount on certain goods.
The obvious thing to do would be to have my base price, then the rule -10% before tax and then +20% for VAT, but do you think I can get it to work!
NO...
We've been testing this (3 different people) for the last 10 days now, so I'm fairly comfortable that we've given it a good go!!!!!
I believe we've tried EVERY possible combination there is....

We have looked (endlessly trawled through) the forums to find a solution.

There is one which comes close to... but it looks like they are trying to confuse the matter by doing discounts INCLUDING tax, but I can only think that is confusing the matter:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96466.msg317924#msg317924

I've also got an issue where, whilst testing, I entered a value in the price override section and no matter what I do, I cant get rid of the 'tick'. It just comes back when it's saved!
The result is that the item in question permanently shows a discount of £0.00 (This would pose questions to potential customers as to why there is no longer a discount!)
This post talks about it, but I don't believe the 'fix' wouldn't give me problems later on.
https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=101414.0

So that one, for me is still outstanding.

(Joomla! 2.5.4, VM 2.0.7c, PHP 5.3.10)   Do try and be clear & concise in your answers to fellow forum members, it will save confusion and frustration with the original poster (and future visitors) in re-asking the question again and again...

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

DiveO2

Hi Milbo

Thank you for the reply. I downloaded and installed that version (2.0.7c) early last night and then went through a few hours of testing until I fell asleep sometime after midnight  :P
Anyway, after further testing this morning, I'm ready to report...

That fixed this issue: I've also got an issue where, whilst testing, I entered a value in the price override section and no matter what I do, I cant get rid of the 'tick'. It just comes back when it's saved!
The result is that the item in question permanently shows a discount of £0.00 (This would pose questions to potential customers as to why there is no longer a discount!)

When pricing the product, there are now 3 options added:

Disabled
Overwrite final
Overwrite price to tax

******* If you are reading this and it has helped you fix a problem you had, then please reply to let me know. I'm just interested to see how many people this affected. Thank you************

There is still no fix for the 'trade discount'.
I still am unable to give any trade customers any discount at all...

*** I would like to turn on SEF URL's again ***  Therefore, I'm hoping that the final release of 2.0.7 will allow me to do that without breaking my site.
(Joomla! 2.5.4, VM 2.0.7c, PHP 5.3.10)   Do try and be clear & concise in your answers to fellow forum members, it will save confusion and frustration with the original poster (and future visitors) in re-asking the question again and again...

DiveO2

After a few more hours of testing................... I think I've found the problem!

In the product pricing area (for individual products), there is an area called 'pricing rules overrides'.
...TWO things...

1)   The selection device has changed into a 'pull down', therefore only one item can be selected

2)   The 'apply generic rules' option does not seem to apply the rules that have been created

My tests confirm that if I have a trade discount set, then it will ONLY apply to an item if I select that SPECIFIC item in the options above.
This has to be a 'bug' or else I will have to go to every single item in my shop (1000's ++) and select an option for each one and then visit EACH one again if I want to change it!

Mmmmmm.... I feel a 2.0.7d version coming along soon.

DiveO2

******  Just an update ******

It's fixed!

2.0.7d installed, and I can now set a 'trade discount' which shows up OK where it should.

The 'pricing rules overrides' is still a pull down, but the generic rules look like they're working now.

Merry

> When pricing the product, there are now 3 options added:

Disabled
Overwrite final
Overwrite price to tax

I am trying to update the onsite Wiki to 2.0.8c, and have been playing with these 3 new overrides (very cool btw).

But I cannot figure out what "Overwrite price to tax" means or does, and have been jigging with it for a long time. Can anyone please help?

TIA,
Merry
Answer is probably from my VirtueMart 2 User Manual ebook, includes FREE updates. FREE Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Quick Install Guide & 30-Minute Quick Setup Guide http://showmeguides.com/