News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

The proper path of migration from Joomla 1.5 and VM 1.1 to Joomla 2.5 and VM2

Started by TWControls, March 08, 2012, 17:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWControls

I'm looking at upgrading one of my sites but I'm trying to make sure I'm clear on a few things.  I've upgraded sites to Joomla 2.5 and I've played with VM2.

My plan is:
1.  Build a test site with all my existing data
2.  Use jupgrade to migrate to Joomla 2.5
3.  Install a fresh VM2.0
4.  Follow the rest of Milbo's instructions at http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=95236.0

Is this correct or should I upgrade VM, then Joomla?  Or does it matter?  SQL databases are my weak point so this may just be a lack of understanding what all is happening during the data migration.

Also, since there will be sales on my live site during this test period, once I have finished testing, is it possible to cleanly export the tables from my live site and run them through the migration process, drop my test site tables and import the migrated live site data again before switching the test site to the live site?

Thanks in advanced
Tim

TWControls

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

TWControls