News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Joomla & virtuemart or Opencart

Started by deep, February 26, 2014, 08:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deep

Hello,

I'm a new member here. I currently use wordpress for websites and opencart for eshops. I plan to use one platform for all (joomla for websites and joomla + virtuemart for eshops) and I would like to ask you about your opinions.

Thank you in advance

franzpeter

Do you need to migrate existing data or do you start from scratch?

deep

franzpeter

The advantage of using Joomla together with Virtuemart is: You have one database. Joomla is - say - the framework and Virtuemart is the shop representation inside that frame. So you can use Joomla modules, plugins and components to extent - if desired - the Joomla functions and you can use those Virtuemart specific modules and plugins, which are normally Joomla modules or plugins to, but operating with the Virtuemart database tables. The huge adavantage is: no double work to achieve the same. You would have just one user administration instead of two, like Wordpress and independent OpenCart. Virtuemart has more functions than OpenCart and with a good template, which has a theme included for Virtuemart, there is no break in appearance. So the advantages are: One solution, one administration, same database, users have same login for the Joomla part and the Virtuemart part. For you the whole administration is a lot easier in case of customer administration, backup a.s.o..  I think it would be a good decision to switch from two completely independent solutions: WordPress AND OpenCart to the All in One solution with Joomla and Virtuemart.

deep

I currently use wordpress for websites and opencart for eshops. I want to use one platform for all, for simplicity and development reasons. I'll install joomla and virtuemart on my laptop for testing for the moment.
Thank you for your answer.

jenkinhill

Joomla is very different to Wordpress so it will take some getting used to. As someone who has used both over the years (starting when Mambo from which Joomla forked was in its infancy) I now almost exclusively use Joomla for its extendability.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

deep

@jenkinhill
I know. I've used Joomla 1 and 1.5 for websites (custom designs).
Thank you for your answer.