News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM front page for multilanguage site

Started by MarioP, October 18, 2013, 20:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarioP

Helo,
I set up a multilanguage site. Everything works fine (according to this tutorial http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=104901.0).
I assigned VM front page as default page in both languages (Polish and English). I have a problem with navigation concerning main categories which appear on the front page.
This is my stie: http://www.multitest.hekko.pl
For example: in Polish version I have category "Katalog produktów" and it's url is following "/pl/katalog-produktow-pl". This works fine (it leads to page with assigned menu and other modules). In English language version I have the same category "Product catalogue" with following url "/en/home-en/product-catalogue-en.
In this case url leads me to wrong page (my home page layout + VM categories) . Probably the problem is in this part of url "/home-en/"...Is there any way to set it to "/en/product-catalogue-en" ?
Joomla 2.5.14
VM 2.0.24

MarioP

Maybe someone will help me understand why in English language I have this "/home-en/". It's somehow related to English language main page, but how?? If I have it in English why I don't have it in Polish? Besides everything else in my multilanguage website works fine ( links redirect to appropriate VM categories and products).

Polish language version:
When it comes to category "Katalog produktów" it works well (redirect to page with assigned menu) only if I the sef alias of this category (VM categories) is the same as alias of associated menu item. So if the sef alias of this category is "katalog-produktow" (which is assigned by default by VM) and the alias of associated menu is "katalog-produktow-pl" the category doesn't show properly. But I have another 2 main categories showing on the front page and they work well even they have different alias than the associated menu.

English language version:
The same categories have addition part in the url "/home-en/". In this case those links direct me to wrong page (my home page layout + VM categories).

Summarising: I have problem with thumbnails of main VM categories which appear on the front page. They don't redirect properly. Everything else ( I mean menu structure ) works fine.

I have tried to do something by myself, but I have no more ideas; I don't know where the problem is... So please help.

jjk

I don't see your "/home-en" in your urls at the moment, so you might have fixed this meanwhile. However, it looks like your english menu structure is not identical with your polish language structure. For each menu item in Polish there should be a menu item in English. And make shure all menu items have the correct language tag.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

MarioP

Unfortunately I didn't fix it. The "/home-en/" is still there :). Please see the English language version (attachment.jpg).
QuoteFor each menu item in Polish there should be a menu item in English. And make shure all menu items have the correct language tag.
Polish and English main menus are the copy of default menu (for all languages). So the structure is identical, the language tags are also correct. One thing, I unpublished several menu items in Eglish menu because I don't need them in this language version. Maybe that's the problem?. Generally the both menues work properly in both language version. I have only problem with url of VM main categories (the thumbnails showing in front page , like in the attachment.jpg)

[attachment cleanup by admin]

jjk

Check your english language 'Product catalogue' menu item. If you have "home-en" in the 'Alias' field and have 'Default Page' set to "No", Joomla adds the Alias into the url.

MarioP

Product catalogue has the "product-catalogue-en" alias. The only one menu item with "home-en" alias is home page and of course is set up as a default page, and that one causes problem: I changed this alias to "romme-en" and now "romme-en" appears in the url (see attachment).

[attachment cleanup by admin]

jjk

Your menu/url structure looks a little bit unusual. Is there any reason why you don't use the following for your homepage?
...multitest.hekko.pl/pl
...multitest.hekko.pl/en

Looking at your links, it seems that you have assigned 2 VirtueMart frontpages in your menu for each language instead of one.
...multitest.hekko.pl/pl/katalog-produktow-pl
...multitest.hekko.pl/pl/katalog-produktow

...multitest.hekko.pl/en/product-catalogue-en
...multitest.hekko.pl/en/romme-en/product-catalogue (Something in the menu settings must be different from one polish language menu)

MarioP

It looks like the problem was in wrong menu alias i.e. it turned out that ( I create Polish and English menu by copy the default menu for all languages -  using Joomla tool "Batch process the selected menu items" ) that when I change home page alias from this assigned by Joomla ( katalog-produktow-3 ) to own (e.g. home-en) this alias shows itself additionally in url of VM main category. Does it mean that I can't change the alias assigned by Joomla?  Or to do it I have to create menu by adding menu items one by one ( not  by copy menu )?

BabraTommy

A proper menu will definitely make the difference, so as long as we focus in getting it right probably will help though!