Changing "default template for your Shop" is not working- nothing changes.

Started by mishi, October 10, 2012, 04:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mishi

I am having an issue with extra spacing and I think it may have to do with my template and old extension leftover coding I can't find. So, I am trying to change the default template in the Configuration Shopfront Settings but no matter what I change it to, it doesn't change. Below is the setting I am changing...any ideas?

Shopfront Settings
Select the default template for your Shop   
atomic

Use joomla default

Thank you in advance for any help :)   

bytelord

Hello,

you should use firebug to check your web site code and styling. As you said probably is a template issue. More information using firebug: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=102850.0
Template overrides in vm2: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=98505.0
Template system: http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Hints_for_the_use_of_the_template_system

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

mishi

Thanks Bytelord...see if you have heard of this before...it just got interesting.

I found that if I disabled in the Extension Manager the Virtuemart Category Module the big white space went away. So did my category on the left but it was something at least. So I went in and manually created a menu to replace it. However, as the menu gets longer, the white spacing comes back in just the first row of categories.

This seems like it would be a simple thing to find but I can not locate it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mishi

bytelord

Hello,

I have to see a live url about that white spacing you are saying

Regards

mishi

Sorry...I thought I had put it in the first post...www.rsa-inc.com/parts

bytelord

ok,

You joomla template is a mess!! It is logical to happen because the left column just float to left and the mainbody just apear there with a margin left??? How was designed that template?

The only thing i can do is:
override the following inside your CSS code (says part and part# not template_css.css, i don't know where is located you know):

#maincol {
float:left;
margin-left:0;
width:75%
}

#leftcol {
    padding: 0;
    width: 25%;
}

the the leftcol you have to delete the line width:225px and replace it with the above.

USE float and width % for your left/right/mainbody columns!

Results on the image

Sorry but your joomla template is a mess!

somewhere you override them

mishi

Thank you for your help. This a purchased Rocket Theme template that they already had.

I changed it to 25% and it only makes the column wider but doesn't change the spacing on the right side in the first row.

I don't think that is the issue because the columns and middle content on the rest of the website are perfect. The only place this is an issue is within Virtuemart.

This is driving me crazy!

bytelord

Rocket theme? Funny, i believe was better templates.
May be have any configuration in the backend.

For me is worked, i did what i paste before but post the wrong image. Take a look on the new one

[attachment cleanup by admin]

bytelord

Quote from: bytelord on October 11, 2012, 00:55:25 AM

#maincol {
float:left;
margin-left:0;
width:75%
}

#leftcol {
    padding: 0;
    width: 25%;
}

the the leftcol you have to delete the line width:225px and replace it with the above.

There are two attributes.

Main column and left columb, add both. Also from the left column replace the line with:225px with the width:25% as i have it bellow.

Regards

mishi

Yes, I can now fix it through firebug as well and it will fix it. The problem is, the only place I can find 225px and left, right, main column are within the template.php and template.css but when I change it there it doesn't change it on the site. It is pulling from somewhere...you saw it says parts#2...that is the name of the virtuemart shop. I looked in the files in Virtuemart and can't find it there anywhere.

Any ideas where else to look? Or how to find out where else this could be pulling from?

bytelord

Hello,

I can't help you with that, is saw also the part# and part that comes with CSS but i am not familiar with rocketheme templates. May be on the backend under template option they have any configuration options for that (left column width, mainbody, etc).

Rocketheme uses their own template framework and i am not familiar also with that one. The best is to ask them because your issue is not vm but your joomla template and CSS especially, you should ask them also.

Regards