News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Select Time and Date for Delivery at checkout

Started by Cornel, July 07, 2012, 22:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornel

Yes, that option had come across months ago.    We cannot use the custom fields as that is an option for each product
This date selection must be done at checkout (not at product selection).

Or am i missing here something

PolishedGeek

Shopper Fields are different than Custom Fields. I'm attaching two images to show where Shopper Fields are configured on the backend, plus how a Shopper date field is displayed on the frontend during checkout.

The Shopper Fields are the fields I was asking about in my question above. After reading all of this discussion, I thought I would pose the question of whether those types of fields would be sufficient. You could always add two very simple date and time selection fields. They wouldn't be dependent upon each other, and to remove a non-delivery day of the week would require customization, but it's certainly an option for a store that doesn't need true delivery scheduling.

[attachment cleanup by admin]
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

easy

I think it's great idea of using shopper fields, the only think they will need to feel/edit shipping details every time shopper place an order but it should not be a problem because it has to be done anyway even with the best calendar.

Cornel,

You don't need super advanced very big shipping / delivery plugin as we all thought earlier

I would discuss with PolishedGeek about possible options and their costs now.

... you can always use reservation/booking system instead of virtuemart if don't want to spend money and have better calendar options. http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/vertical-markets/booking-a-reservations/booking/335. I believe that you need an online shop, I don't think you want to let your client to book a bread delivery or to reserve a cake for a party

PolishedGeek

@Easy, thank you for pointing out a good issue to keep in mind when looking at simpler solutions. You are right, the field will be pre-filled with the previous delivery date for repeat customers, since it would be stored with the shipping address.

Perhaps a simple post-order confirmation script could be triggered upon that event to clear the date field content after each order is paid? That kind of little quirk is one of the unfortunate disadvantages of not using a shipping plugin customized for delivery management. A shipping plugin wouldn't have that issue on subsequent orders.

There are pros and cons for each approach, and what's workable and acceptable will be very different for small stores making a few sales a week, versus stores that put through dozens of sales a day. A small store might be ok with doing some manual cleanup if a customer doesn't remember to choose a future date. Especially if the simple, bare bones approach saves them from having to invest in custom extension development.

Nice idea about the reservation system. I've seen a couple of wedding cake bakeries use a booking system, as they can only accept a limited number of wedding cakes per day due to the time intensive nature of decorating them, and the long delivery time needed for setup on the wedding day.   :)
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

Cornel

Thanks all for your thoughts and remarks.
Shopper fields will do fine when this Delivery date field can be changed/filled in the way I discussed earlier....right above the "Notes and special requests" textarea..... and NOT at the shipping address page.

Reason why is that customer can also choose to pick up their order at the store....whereas they do not have a shipping address.

So if someone can make it work using shopper fields with change option at the cart screen please quote me your price !

Cornel

This would work if the position of this shopper field could also be placed elsewhere as on the place of the shipping or payment options.......

Searching for a solution (and for someone who wants to code this for a reasonable price).............

Fintan

I have been following this discussion with interest.
QuoteShopper fields will do fine when this Delivery date field can be changed/filled in the way I discussed earlier....right above the "Notes and special requests" textarea..... and NOT at the shipping address page.

I am setting up a pizzeria take-away / home delivery and the idea here is to be able to tell the restaurant when you want to pick up or have delivered.

I have tried with the shopper fields, but there is no option for the check out page. Product custom fields do not work asik.

I hope someone comes up with a solution.

I played with Hikashop for a while and the business version has this functionality build in, but at a price ;)

easy

In your case it is quite simple
Just two delivery options to choose from:
- collection
- delivery
That's all what you need

Fintan

HI Easy:
QuoteIn your case it is quite simple
Just two delivery options to choose from:
- collection
- delivery
That's all what you need

I have those set up, but The client wants to be able to set at least the time for both delivery options. The date would be a nice touch as well.

Say I want to order a pizza at 12:00 but pick it up / have it delivered at 19:00.

Fintan

This is not a great solution but will work for now.

In the language file section: COM_VIRTUEMART_COMMENT_CART I changed  "Your comments" to "Please add desired delivery date and time".

I also changed: COM_VIRTUEMART_MAIL_SHOPPER_QUESTION accordingly.

I would prefer a more elegant solution though.

Cornel

Hoi fintan,

We are working on a elegant (enough) solution, but that takes some programming and time.   If it is done, i will post it here.
What is the live URL of your website ?

Fintan

Hoi? ( Are you Swiss? ;) )

Great to hear.
My site is still very crude as I am testing:
http://www.fintan-gastro-consulting.ch/Pizza/

Please not that the vmshop is Shop2! Shop1 is a Hikashop (Free version) test.

Keep us posted, please.
Cheers
Fintan

Fintan

I am allergic to cats. Can cats run/fix virtuemart???

lilyferchita

Hello Cornel, please let me know if you have made the module with date and time advanced..

I´m trying to do this for a virtuemart 2 store for Gifts (flowers, chocolates, etc) on line where the date and time wi'll be customize.

Thanks a lot!!

David Kan

Helo,

I have news for you, we just publish a plugin to add Product Delivery date for Virtuemart 2

http://www.cmsmart.net/virtuemart-extensions/product-delivery-date-for-virtuemart

For any Virtuemart shop owners want to set up a delivery date (day/month/year) for your products ( food, flowers, bakery, gift...) then this plugin is for you.

This is a Joomla plugin, but work exclusively for Virtuemart. After install the plugin like normal Joomla extension, activate the plugin and now your shopper can chose a delivery date during the check out process.

How it works:

- Shopper select delivery date by a calendar window at check out page.

- Shoper does not have to log-in, still can chose the delivery date.

- Admin can see the Required Delivery date in the order.

- Delivery date can be displayed in the order confirmation email

- The plugin store delivery date time inside Virtuemart order database.

With this plugin, you do not have to change or edit Virtuemart code, you can update Virtuemart anytime you want.

This plugin is compatiple with Joomla 2.5.x and Virtuemart 2.x.x We also welcome to receive your request to develop more functions from this plugin or customization for your site, please send email to huy@netbase.vn

http://www.cmsmart.net/virtuemart-extensions/product-delivery-date-for-virtuemart

Demo:

Please visit our demo site at: http://www.joomlamodule.net and try to add any product, go to check out page and you will see the Delivery Date at the end.

Forum:

http://www.cmsmart.net/forum/virtuemart-plugin

Thank you

Huy Nguyen