News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Shipping rates problem - VM 2

Started by Tikkiro, April 27, 2012, 19:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikkiro

I've tried quite a few searches on here about this problem but am either not using the right keywords or nobody else has had the same issue so apologies in advance if it has been dealt with & I've just missed it.   I'd also tried searching through the manuals provided to no avail. :(

I've worked with the shipping rates in VM1 and in the previous shop I had using it I was able to configure the shipping rates ok.  Now, however, the charity I run the shop for, has changed their shipping options from the previous which used different prices according to weight (which was simpler to set up), to one now that's a flat rate on everything.  I initially thought this was going to be simpler again to set up but must be missing something as it's not functioning as I'd hoped.

What's happening is that while the flat rate shows in the frontend as a shipping option it isn't applying it to the order which then can be placed with no postage applied at all.   It's the same regardless of the number of items (I've yet to change the ambiguity of the rate description).   I've attached a screenshot only because to view it in the shop you'd have to create an account so easier this way, but should you wish to view it directly the test site's at:
http://www.fmsni.org.uk/fmsni/jnew25/index.php/fmsni-store

Now I've 2 questions related to this problem:
1) - how do I set it up in the shipping section given the only option I have available to me is "shipping by weight, country, zip code" etc - do I make every item in the shop the same weight so that everything will get caught in that single rate?
and
2) - how do I ensure it applies the rate per item rather than for the overall order i.e. 3 items @ £1.50 being £4.50 for postage?

I suspect the answers to those questions might sort out why it's not being applied correctly?

Thanks in advance for your patience in answering this.
Romayne

[attachment cleanup by admin]

PRO

You can do a flat rate per item with my shipment plugin
http://www.kaizenmediaworks.com/pro-ship-virtuemart-2-0-shipping-plugin-module

using the standard will be  hard to do I think.
Mine is just a modified standard one

Tikkiro

You're a GEM!!!  Not just in answering my question (as I suspect I'm not the 1st to ask it  :( ) but also in providing a perfect solution for it.  Thanks SO much for that - truly appreciated  8)

Tikkiro

Hi Banquet T - sorry for only getting back to you now on this - been away a few days so haven't had time to do it until now, but even with your plugin enabled & working fine in the backend, I'm still having the same problem with the front whereby it won't apply the rate despite showing it as being the rate available for purchases.  I can run the order right through to checkout without any postage being applied to it :(.

Any other ideas on the likely cause of this when there are no errors?

Thanks

PRO

Quote from: Tikkiro on May 01, 2012, 15:47:01 PM
Hi Banquet T - sorry for only getting back to you now on this - been away a few days so haven't had time to do it until now, but even with your plugin enabled & working fine in the backend, I'm still having the same problem with the front whereby it won't apply the rate despite showing it as being the rate available for purchases.  I can run the order right through to checkout without any postage being applied to it :(.

Any other ideas on the likely cause of this when there are no errors?

Thanks

chance a template override ?

Tikkiro

Sorry - can you clarify?   If you're asking if I've created one, then no - wouldn't know how to :) & therein lies my 2nd question - if you're asking me to do one, I'd need a walkthrough :).   Presumably not something you've come across too often then?  Would be typical of me to have the weird & wonderful that nobody else gets LOL.

No doubt it'll be something simple as it usually is.  This is a test site so I'm not overly worried about messing it up too much although it will go on to be the live site shortly hopefully so certainly wouldn't want to totally destroy things as most of it's working 100%.   It may have something to do with how the product keys were migrated over from the previous version in J1.5/VM 1.1 & there were some issues with that when I undertook it, so possibly once I get the shop products properly set up e.g. weights are all over the place with some in kg, some in g, some in lb etc, maybe it'll sort itself out.

No problem - just wanted to see if you'd come across it before.  Contented to work on as above, & come back to you if I get no further by the end of next week when I should have the work finished.  Thanks anyway :)

Wapsel

First of all: Banquet thanx for the plugin! Exactly what I was looking for.

Tikkiro: did you filled in at least more than 0 for your weight products? If you have no weight to your products, it will set the shipping cost to zero.

Hope it helpes!

Tikkiro

Shipping is set up correctly & does work in certain configs just not the one I want.  But I've sorted the problem out by just adding the postage cost on to the item instead - saves me a lot of hassle otherwise going through every item to change weights/costs etc.  Thanks for the thought though.