News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[Solved;shopemail=shopowner email]Can't change shop email address

Started by maxispin, March 13, 2012, 05:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxispin

VM 2.0.3AE
Joomla: 2.5.2
PHP version: 5.2.17

Shop email address (Shop/Shop/Additional information) change does not work. The original value returns after save button is pressed.

It seems to use Joomla Admin email address. Not good because they are two separate things.
VM 3.0.17.6 | VM 2.0.24c | VM 1.1.9

Piccoro

Yea, I already noticed this.

I posted about this in another thread http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=97183.0
but no reply yet...

ssustar52

I see this as a major problem.  The shop email address should not be determined by any Joomla user email address.  It should be configurable in the shop. 

The Joomla user addresses are generally personal email addresses where the shop address, at least in my case, needs to be something like sales@domain.com.

Is there a way to hard code the shop email address until this functionality is fixed?

maxispin

[NOT SOLVED]

This has not been fixed in ver 2.0.3E.

ssustar52

Just installed 2.0.3E and the shop email still reverts back to the admin user email.

maxispin

I had to have a dream. I thought that it worked in a localhost machine.  :-[

ssustar52

I think the problem is that the same template is used for the shop configuration as is used for shopper configuration.  I don't think this should be so.  There is no need to have a user associated with the vendor information.  Vendor (Shop) information should stand on it's own.

shanDB

I am also looking for a solution to this problem, which still exists in VM 2.0.10
PROTOCOL DROID - Noobie Web Designer Tips & Solutions
http://shantronix.wordpress.com

Milbo

Quote from: ssustar52 on March 22, 2012, 13:33:31 PM
I think the problem is that the same template is used for the shop configuration as is used for shopper configuration.  I don't think this should be so.  There is no need to have a user associated with the vendor information.  Vendor (Shop) information should stand on it's own.
No, it has nothing todo with the template because VM2 is MVC.

The vendor is a person, and yes, the vendor email is the same as the mainvendor email.

Tell me your real problems with it. You will notice there arent any. Joomla users can be vm shoppers and vm shoppers can be vendors. From the informatic point of view, a vendor needs a login, therefore we use the joomla login for it. Why we should write something new? From the legal point, behind a vendor exists a juristic person. This person has contact information.

If you want that your shop has another email than you, then create another account. One account for adminstrating the shop, another account to answer people in the forum, or for whatever you need it.

There is no bug !
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

yagudaev

Quote from: Milbo on September 17, 2012, 11:32:18 AM
Quote from: ssustar52 on March 22, 2012, 13:33:31 PM
No, it has nothing todo with the template because VM2 is MVC.

The vendor is a person, and yes, the vendor email is the same as the mainvendor email.

Tell me your real problems with it. You will notice there arent any. Joomla users can be vm shoppers and vm shoppers can be vendors. From the informatic point of view, a vendor needs a login, therefore we use the joomla login for it. Why we should write something new? From the legal point, behind a vendor exists a juristic person. This person has contact information.

If you want that your shop has another email than you, then create another account. One account for adminstrating the shop, another account to answer people in the forum, or for whatever you need it.

There is no bug !

Oh it is much worse than a bug. It is inconsistent user interface, bad user experience, poor use of language and poor design. It is very confusing what is going on.

All we want to do is change the email address emails are sent to and where people can contact us at (e.g. sales@domain.com).

What you are saying is ok from a system's point of view, but not from a user's point of view. If you are going to do all that, at least only provide a drop-down with a list of shoppers who are admin users. So just let us select the user that is associated with the vendor.

Another thing is that the word 'vendor' means the suppliers of our shop (look it up). Maybe you can be a vendor in the eyes of your buyers, but that is a really odd way of looking at things. Instead the term 'shop owner' should be used.

The settings in virtuemart really need to be cleaned up, it is a huge mess and most of the settings are not needed or can at least be hidden away until they are needed.

Finally, I still haven't been able to figure out how to change the email address notifications get sent to. And for some reason I feel like I am not the only one.

AISweb

This is still not solved is it ?

We have a site due to go live but we can't change the shop email; i.e. the email that orders are sent to.

Why ?

We have deleted the user that was defaulting to being the Vendor, but now another user is being used, again wrong.
Are we expected to delete users until only the one we want (as the shop owner) is left ?

Love VM, been using it for years, but this is confusing and frustrating.

[Edit] Now, since deleting the first User, we get this error:
JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 42

jstratos

I agree with yagudaev 100%.  This is a user interface issue and a real serious one.  My client was not getting the order emails, as I was the administrator and the only one receiving these confirmations.  I had to forward everything to the store owner every time an order came in.  Why isn't there an option to change the shop owner or at-least a separate input field to allow that change as the case with v1.1.9?

Very frustrating!!!

I found this work-a-round:
QuoteI've been having similar problems with the emails coming to me instead of the store owner.

I think I've fixed it with phpmyadmin

In the table   `jos_virtuemart_vmusers` the field virtuemart_vendor_id was set to 1 for my user (and most other users)

I've set this to 0 for all users, except for the store owner, and now when I check the shop - /index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=user&task=editshop the email address listed under additional info is the correct one.

Here's a snapshot of the table setup where my id 44 is now the new store owner. This now displays correctly in the shop vendor page.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

lindapowers

Sorry Milbo but I dont agree with you, the vendor is not a person.

The vendor is a company and a company can't have a name second name etc assigned to a physical person in the order.

Actually the fields are wrong there, it should just say company name and comercial name.

Is not even legal in our country to assing a physcal person as the company.

Invoices reflect the company details without the name or second name of the owner.

Please look in to this cause VM 1.1 made it the correct and legal way.

Regards

ralfeez

No this is definitely not just a bug. It is poor engineering. What can I do to help you to solve this issue? This is a major problem that needs a fix.

lindapowers

We just ignore the fact that VM says the vendor is a person,

"behind a vendor exists a juristic person"

Not here Max.
Behind the vendor there is a company, actually the vendor is a company not a physical person and is ilegal to use the name of a person here unless that person is the company himself (10% cases here)

Don't get your problem, just asign your company email to the vendor and in the additional details just add the company informatiĆ³n and put the name of the company and details in "Name" and "second name"

Make the vendor the company itself.