News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Adding CHILD PRODUCTS from existing products to other existing products

Started by vicnkris, January 30, 2012, 19:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicnkris

Is it possible to make an existing product a child of another existing product without having to delete and create new child products under the parent?

Example:

These are all existing products in my virtuemart:
ABC Shave Cream
Raspberry ABC Shave Cream SKU-RAS123
Blueberry ABC Shave Cream SKU-BLU123
Apple ABC Shave Cream SKU-APP123

I want the different flavors of the shave cream to be child products of the ABC Shave Cream. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

Milbo

This is not possible. You can do it with db hacking, but it also shows a wrong understanding of children imho.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

vicnkris

Okay, so it isn't possible that way... Now I am using CSVI to import and am able to set up the CSV to import the products as children of another product that way.... BUT it still doesn't look how I was hoping on the frontend.

I created the custom field 'flavor' within Virtuemart. I tested the import with the file I attached hereand it imported the products, but they are four different products within virtuemart's backend as well as the frontend. I would like the users to have the dropdown of the flavors from the parent product. I thought importing this way would accomplish this... was I mistaken? Is there anyway to do this??

In another forum I was told: "The parent/child feature is severely broken in VirtueMart 2, so what you like is not possible. The closest thing to it, is to have the custom field where users can choose a flavor as option on an existing product."

SO If it is not possible... hmmm.... I am trying to think of the best way to do this then... if they order it by flavor how could I make sure the correct sku is matched with that flavor when an order is placed?

ANY help with this is greatly appreciated.

Milbo

We plan to repair this feature asap, when 2.0.2 is out. You did it correctly afaik. 2.0.1.c is afaik quite stable. It is the last feature we want to integrate / repair, before we start with 2.1.x.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

vicnkris

Hi Milbo. I am checking back with you on this to see if this feature has been repaired before I download? I appreciate your assisstance.