Tax & Calculation Rules - Creating Maximum Purchase Amt?

Started by Amy Latka, March 03, 2012, 19:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy Latka

Greetings!  I am creating a shopping cart system for a youth sports team registration.  Everything is going great, however I need some help.  The club has a maximum family fee.  For example, if the normal registration is $95/child, but you have three children, you would pay a max of $220 (versus $285 if you paid for each individual child). 

My Question:
Is it possible to create a formula such that (for purchases within a specific category) that regardless of the number of registrations, a parent will automatically receive a discount so that they are only charged the family maximum fee?  The family max would ONLY go into effect for purchases OVER the family max value -- and only for specific categories.  In other words, I want to make sure that if a family is only registering one child, they are not charged the family max fee.

I thought about doing this through coupons, but there are multiple registration options based on the children's age group.  I think creating coupons for all the variables and then making sure parents use the correct ones will just be too much work.  Seems like there should be a way for VirtueMart to automatically do this at check out.  I'll admit that math is not my strong suit, so I have no idea where to begin in creating a formula to do this.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

alatka

PS - Currently using VM 2.02 in Joomla 1.5.25.  Will be upgrading to 1.7 or perhaps 2.5 in the near future.

jjk

If you want to use VM2 for this, the only solution that currently comes into my mind is a commercial plugin available here:
http://virtuemart.cloudaccess.net/extensions-virtuemart-2/quantity-related-calculation-detail
However, I didn't test that one myself yet, so I can't guarantee that it works for you.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

John2400

Amy,

Just wondering why you don't have a fee product and then attached to it is drop down options that say

1 child $95.00
2 children $X fee
3 children $ V fee
Family Charge - $ 220

Then underneath this is the varient that has empty Text boxes where they write their childrens  names and ages. ?

When they register - the parent will choose the lowest cost from the drop down box and with an explaination written written by you next to the product I'm sure
they will choose the correct payment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* second option

The age group option maybe resolved by Creating a registration product :             
  "product one is 10 -12 year olds "
"product two is "12- 16" year olds.
Then maybe just have - a Family product " it has option for one flat fee.

and underneath - use use a text field where they have to write the child's name in each text box.

You haven't mentioned if you require the names of the kids and if you don't then you are right the easier the registration the better.

* I have been on many kids sporting agencies - and it is quite difficult . Don't forget to add the club T shirt, mouthguard, water bottle as featured products for some quick sales.
Or we just put a package of $50 together the package had all of these as a bundle)

Amy Latka

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

@John:  Your second option might work.  The issue is that there are different pricing options per age group and ultimately, we'd like to run a report of everyone who signed up for a specific league.  That makes it tricky.  And yes, they want each product to be associated with a player's name, so that they can run a report and sort information by league to see all of the players with paid registrations for that league.

Very tricky indeed. 

So here are the registration options:

$150: Travel League  (NOT included in the max family fee)

$195: Max Family Recreational League Fee
    $95: Junior Boys League - Ages 13 & Older
    $95: Junior Girls League - Ages 12 & Older
    $95: Major Boys League - Ages 11 & 12
    $95: AAA Boys League - Ages 9 & 10
    $95: AAA Girls League - Ages 9, 10 & 11
    $75: AA Boys League - Ages 7 & 8
    $75: AA Girls League - Ages 7 & 8
    $75: Rookie Girls League - Ages 5 & 6
    $75: Rookie Boys League - Ages 5 & 6
    $50: 4 Year Old Instructional League

All suggestions welcome!! :)