News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[GUIDE] VM 1.1.x to VM 2.0.1 and Joomla 1.5.xx to Joomla 2.5.x

Started by djesko86, February 23, 2012, 10:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djesko86

Here is tutorial that i made. I made this becouse i wrote down every step what i made in my site and wanted to share to all of you.

VM 2.0.1 is in development stage. VM 2.0.0 doesn't work with this tutorial, becouse of compatibility issues of joomla 2.5.

First things first:
Backup backup backup!!
And allways use test site first!
(with jupgrade it is pretty safe to use it on live site, but i don't recommend it)

Remember to change your own directories and url's to mach your own.

This tutorial is based on youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5utvww9DLQ

in this tutorial there is addons and commands that i used.

Backup SQL databases and files.
I used cpanel to do backups from sql. and putty/ssh and command:
tar cfz backup_xxxxxx.tgz public_html
and replace xxxxxx with date, so it is easier to find newest backup

Then i installed jupgrade from: http://redcomponent.com/free-downloads/cat_view/931-jupgrade
(needs to register to download)

now install it to your joomla and then enable mootools upgrade tools from plugins

then start jupgrade and let it do it's job.

now go to http://testsite.com/jupgrade/administrator
and now you should have joomla 2.5.1

now install virtuemart 2.0.1 and then aio package.

now you need to take virtuemart pictures
i used this command (it is easier to transfer when all the pictures are in package):
tar -cvf shop_images.tar.gz /home/user/public_html/testi2/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/ --exclude "/home/user/public_html/testi2/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/ps_image/*" --exclude "/home/user/public_html/testi2/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/7d05d4d576504aa7ab605ab17c513cfb.sess" --exclude "/home/user/public_html/testi2/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/blank.gif" --exclude "/home/user/public_html/testi2/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/index.html" --exclude "/home/user/public_html/testi2/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/JSCookTree.js"
( used exclude command to minimize package size)

then i copied shop_images.tar.gz to my own computer and extracted it to it's own folder. Removed all others and leave just folders "category", "product" and "vendor"
zipped it and then transferred it back to server to folder /jupgrade/images/stories/virtuemart/

and now we need to unzip package, there's an example:
cd /home/user/public_html/testi2/jupgrade/images/stories/virtuemart/
unzip shop_image.zip

now we start migrating virtuemart.

first enable "Enable database Update tools" from configuration -> shop
and save the changes

now we go to migration from "Tools" -> "Tools & Migration" -> click tab "Migration"
Then choose what to migrate "everything" and then "Start migration"
if you have lot of products and other stuff you propably need to click many times "Start migration"

now you can make changes to configs, layout and everything else.

now you can move your files/folders in jupgrade to root directory, but remember to backup before.
It is easiest if you got cpanel in your server.

Now you should have workin joomla 2.5 and virtuemart 2.0.1

i haven't tried to move files to root public_html becouse my development site is not yet functional.
So please inform me if there is somenthing wrong in this tutorial.

hope this is not to messy tutorial and sorry if my english isn't perfect  8)

And thanks for developers for this great ecommerce extension!  :)

John2400

Nice try ,

I think people will appreciate your efforts -
* hope they make positive suggestions as we move to 2.0.2 ( many will try to make the move over ) so we should have an easy to try method.
I know someone will linkback to joomla suggestion - migration page but it is often difficult to follow.

A one move all - plugin/ would be perfect but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

zuukoi

Thanks for your guide, I follow all your instruction and install virtuemart 2.0.2 on fresh upgraded joomla 2.5.1 using jupgrade 2.5.0

After finish with migrating everything I realized that all my products is missing. Any idea ?

princessbs

This works perfectly on Xampp, using Joomla 2.5.6 & VM 2.0.8e. Thank you very much!

cdishawaii

Thank you soo much for taking the time to write this down.. worked perfectly!