News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

downloadable products

Started by lime21, February 19, 2012, 11:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tikos

Quote from: jenkinhill on March 01, 2012, 15:11:56 PM
The extension was written by Electrocity, one of the core VirtueMart developers.

It is on the official VirtueMart Extensions site.  http://virtuemart.cloudaccess.net/extensions-virtuemart-2/shipments/shipment-for-virtual-products-detail

Thank you for your response!

I suppose that there is no answer on tha question about why downloadables were available in VM 2 beta 3 and they aren't in the final release...
Check this:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96611.msg323054#msg323054
qb cube - internet solutions | web design & internet marketing
[url="http://www.qbcube.com"]http://www.qbcube.com[/url]

Milbo

Downloadables are stuff you can download. Downloadables are still implemented, this is for manuals, drivers, free extra stuff. File for sale /virtual goods are products to sell them per download.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a [url=http://extensions.virtuemart.net/support/virtuemart-supporter-membership-detail]member[/url]

Rolling Spider

Very Disapointing VM ..  Waiting around for so long with the premise that Downloads Section is being worked on then passing them of to third party developers

You should be leading the field ... Video .. Audio preview options from all social sites (Vimeo, Youtube etc etc) ...  Downloadable streams Local & External ... etc etc

Maybe you should ask your customer base whats needed ...  Next Time Very dissapointed

I dont mind paying for whats needed ... but you have turned off a lot of potential customers by not keeping up to date with trends needed in a modern Shopping cart

Milbo

???

Rolling spider, I think you do not understand the possibilities already there. You can use joomla plugins for this already.

Really, really, what I really hate are people using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man arguments. I think you know 5% of vm2, but you think you can judge about it? I know we are missing this or that. We cant have 700 extensions (which also often not for free) like vm1.1 or other shopping carts already long time out there. But saying that we miss things which are quite obviously already there is just lame.

As I explained before. Dont mix "downloadable files" with "virtual goods", which can be shipped via download. Downloadable files already work. An example is in our store, there are now pdf manuals to download.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a [url=http://extensions.virtuemart.net/support/virtuemart-supporter-membership-detail]member[/url]

tikos

Quote from: Milbo on March 02, 2012, 16:58:31 PM
???

Rolling spider, I think you do not understand the possibilities already there. You can use joomla plugins for this already.

Really, really, what I really hate are people using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man arguments. I think you know 5% of vm2, but you think you can judge about it? I know we are missing this or that. We cant have 700 extensions (which also often not for free) like vm1.1 or other shopping carts already long time out there. But saying that we miss things which are quite obviously already there is just lame.

As I explained before. Dont mix "downloadable files" with "virtual goods", which can be shipped via download. Downloadable files already work. An example is in our store, there are now pdf manuals to download.

OK, maybe I described my needs in a wrong way. My english aren't very good - I have to admit that.

I just want to be able to sell software via VM2. I want my customers to be able to pay for a software and then download it, and then to get an activation code (by an e-mail, perhaps). Is that possible, or do I have to pay for an extension?
Or maybe should I wait for the VM 2.1?
Please, give me a specific answer to that! It's very important!
qb cube - internet solutions | web design & internet marketing
[url="http://www.qbcube.com"]http://www.qbcube.com[/url]

Milbo

For this you must buy the extension. But RollingSpider said "Video .. Audio preview options from all social sites (Vimeo, Youtube etc etc) ... " which is already working with the right joomla plugin.

Also vm1.1 missed a lot features, people bought almost always, which are now free in vm2. For example the pdf invoicing, which is now in the core.

xevi

Interesting discussion topic.

I completely understand why downloadable sales has been dropped off from Virtuemart in VM2.

If I got the point of the new VM2, any particularities have been dropped off from the oficial release, and will be incorporated as plugins. So many new developers can contribute to extend funcionalities on VM, while the core is kept light and "stable", and VM developers can focus their efforts on improving the core.

Downloadable sales seems to be a particularity not used by everyone. ok. we can agree. we cannot claim on VM developers for that, as this is a community work not directly rewarded.

So, now the market is open to providers of a plugin that allows selling downloadable goods. So far, we know http://virtuemart.cloudaccess.net/extensions-virtuemart-2/shipment-for-virtual-products-detail .

But before buying it, I would like to see how it works. Do you know any demo site? Of course, if this convinces me, I will buy it if I believe this will be useful for my business idea. If my business idea is not able to reward me the 35$ investment, then it's maybe time to change idea. (in line with jenkinhill comment).

And, by the way, do you know any other plugin available in the market that allows selling downloadable goods, to compare?

thanks.

Jerry Johnson

Is there an alternative to the virtual goods plugin offered by Electrocity? It requires customers to get an email with a link to be able to download the goods purchased. That is an archaic methodology. Do we have to go back to the days of constant customer support issues because of email spam filters (customers never add the store to their address books like we tell them - I don't). With this method, how do I limit the number of downloads per customer? I didn't see that as a parameter in their (very limited) documentation. It also requires customers to give an email address which defeats the whole purpose of allowing customers to buy without registering. And for almost $50 dollars US, why can't I see a demo? Seems like a pretty sloppy operation; why should I trust them to make a good product - oh yeah: because I have no choice!

I know what you said above about you all being volunteers and who is going to pay for the infrastructure, but you run ads on your site. Is Electrocity really just the VM team? If not, how does that help with your infrastructure cost?

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude, but it seems that this approach was not very well thought out. Coming out with a new version and taking features away that many, although possibly not the majority, of your customer base rely on is not a good practice. If I have to start paying for features that I need to use your product perhaps I would better off switching to a paid component that is at least up front about what they are doing.

Your caviler attitude towards your customer base may very well spell the death of Virtuemart. Most of the people who are selling virtual goods are the very developers that are using your product to do sites for their customers. Alienate us at your peril.

Jerry

orasis

Quote from: jenkinhill on February 26, 2012, 10:56:01 AM
Quote from: rexel99 on February 26, 2012, 00:10:43 AM
While i like the idea of enhanced developement, getting a basic downloader module for an open-source product at 35 euro is pretty steep.

This is something that the majority of VM users do not need, so is not included in the core. People installing VirtueMart are either developers who will be getting paid by their client or shop owners who are developing a store to make money. And as anyone in business will tell you, you need to spend before you start getting a return on your invesment.

Everyone involved in VirtueMart development is a volunteer, freely giving up their time to the project. So who pays for the site hosting, bandwidth etc? Hosting adverts on the site is not sufficient as most  web savvy people are resistant to these.  Having a partial business model is a good way of being able to maintain a free of charge stable and usable VM core while ensuring that the project can continue to pay its bills.

hm hm hm...
nice position here to your answers. crying out and falling to a very low level to my view. I cannot imagine the Joomla team come out one day on the forums and say,, aaaaaah well you know guys, we got to make some money now, although we are  "volunteers", cause we have to pay for the hosting so the Joomla you knew is not gonna be free anymore....

concerning what u say there about that "the majority of VM users do not need" (the downloads), well, it is also something very hard to find at a good mature state on a Joomla extension. you speak with audacity, not only you though, and stop preaching about what one should do in a business or an investment. but to become and have such an attitude yourself, you must have heard many times the word "please" in your online life so far. Something that people must learn and stop saying just to everyone around.

This is how projects fall apart though. .. and at the end WE are the ones that would care more about it cause we loved it. I am 100% against fascist mentality.

Quote from: Milbo on March 02, 2012, 16:58:31 PM
???

cool Mr and relax cause you are not the only one to be angry in this story with what has ALREADY happened to virtuemart.
...ahm... how to say.... answer "professionally" ..get me ? :)

bye bye... virtuemart is dead for me and many others already.

jjk

Quote from: orasis on March 12, 2012, 08:26:29 AM

The developers of VM2 did build a great new system which is much better prepared for the future of online selling than the old VM1 version. It has become a full time job for them and of course they need to establish a business model to generate a reasonable income for themself. They supply most of VM2 free of charge to you guys so you can use it to generate income for yourself. Now some of you guys complain that you have to invest a small amount for a particular part you want to use to generate income for yourself . You don't intend to give all your downloadable products for free, because you somehow need to pay your monthly bills. But at the same time you are not accepting the similar business model of the VM2 team.

If you decide you have to abandon VM2 because your business requires a 35 Euro investment that (depending on what you sell) might be paid off after your 1st or 10th sale, then go ahead. VM2 can't please 100 percent of it's potential users. Contrary to what you think, the number of VM2 shop owners is growing rapidly and the VM2 community, too - even if you decide to leave.  :)
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
[url="http://virtuemart.net/community/translations"]http://virtuemart.net/community/translations[/url]

orasis

Quote from: jjk on March 12, 2012, 11:31:44 AM
Quote from: orasis on March 12, 2012, 08:26:29 AM

The developers of VM2 did build a great new system which is much better prepared for the future of online selling than the old VM1 version. It has become a full time job for them and of course they need to establish a business model to generate a reasonable income for themself. They supply most of VM2 free of charge to you guys so you can use it to generate income for yourself. Now some of you guys complain that you have to invest a small amount for a particular part you want to use to generate income for yourself . You don't intend to give all your downloadable products for free, because you somehow need to pay your monthly bills. But at the same time you are not accepting the similar business model of the VM2 team.

If you decide you have to abandon VM2 because your business requires a 35 Euro investment that (depending on what you sell) might be paid off after your 1st or 10th sale, then go ahead. VM2 can't please 100 percent of it's potential users. Contrary to what you think, the number of VM2 shop owners is growing rapidly and the VM2 community, too - even if you decide to leave.  :)

The vm community used to be a real community where one would ask something and 5 would answer and help. Nowadays this doesn't exist, most questions don't get answered even on serious subjects such as vulnerability notices from users. There is a general "attitude" in the air admit it or not, I personally don't really care if you do. It is obvious you've had enough.

Remind to yourself what FOSS is all about by going around some websites you maybe used to in the past and see what magic it can do to poor countries. If one is rich, he/she will not look for something that is free you know that. So, go completely commercial and admit it professionally without excuses and childish style sentences. Just remember, that horses, do eat hay, but some of us don't.

Most of what I personally hate and cannot stand is this atittude of your's telling us what to do and what we are already doing and how much money we make, and what ammount of sales we need, to earn back a certain amount of money. What we can not impose one another is "choice". And according to your choices be prepared to accept criticism.

daviator

Quote from: jenkinhill on March 01, 2012, 15:11:56 PM
The extension was written by Electrocity, one of the core VirtueMart developers.

It is on the official VirtueMart Extensions site.  http://virtuemart.cloudaccess.net/extensions-virtuemart-2/shipments/shipment-for-virtual-products-detail

This clears up a lot about the "new" version of Virtuemart. Instead of making it truly better it appears as if it was gutted to make it easier for commercial plugin developers (i.e. the core Virtuemart developers)  to make some cash.

While I have no problem with developers selling plugins, removing existing features only to make people pay for them is truly rotten.

What is going to be removed in the next version and turned into a paid plugin? The Shopping cart? Categories?

teksun

Ever buy a printer? nice investment...great low price...then they kill you with ink prices. I have seen this trend not just in VM but Joomla as a whole over the years. More and more extensions being developed by third party or core developer for some fee.  Consider the developers time and effort to learn php, html, css, college...on and on. Simple fact is people don't donate, I don't. Even if the extension has some backlink to the provider I deal with it or try to remove it cause from an seo perspective hurts my rankings. But, if there is an extension that ties the main purpose of my site and I have no other choice I buy it. I have paid upwards of $100 for one.

However, there could be a demo easily set up or a trial period implemented. Developer, at 35 euro (say $46 us) you will easily get a handsome R.O.I. which is great for both of us. I sell a virtual product but found a way around this limitation that works for me.

Also the purchase of the extension is tax deductible!

Rock on VM and developers, you deserve to make a profit on your time and effort to provide for free what the majority of your users need. I'm certain most of them have had to pay for a viable solution as well.

daviator

teksun,
I fully understand that most people do not donate but I do. As for paid plugins, in general I found them to be just as buggy, if not more so than free ones. Often you are asked to pay once for plugin with the promise of support only to find yourself in a forum with other users trying to solve the same problem and the developer(s) are no where to be found. Or they say that will be fixed on the next version, which by the way you will have to pay for again.

I get it, the VM guys want to make some cash as they should. But is it "fair" to rip out previously free features with a "new" version only to charge people to get them back in? Again, my fear is if I bite the bullet and move forward with VM 2, them what will they strip out on the next "upgrade"?   

teksun

Quote from: daviator on March 14, 2012, 13:42:27 PM
Again, my fear is if I bite the bullet and move forward with VM 2, them what will they strip out on the next "upgrade"?   

Remember Coca-Cola? or New Coke? then Both? Then the dumping of New Coke?
A little off base but you can't live life with this kind of fear. I know what you mean about "buggy" too not to mention the possibility of opening the door for hackers. Adjust and move on. Better yet drop your website development, go learn php, html, css, javascript, mysql... and make your own solution. Once you see it from their side you will probably need so sell your solution to make up for loss of income from your own website.

Free enterprise is wonderful. It gives the core developers the opportunity to define and re-define what core is for their business model.

Look at it this way, ever have a hamburger? Add cheese for .50 cents. No cheese but cut the onions, same price as the core (hamburger), which I feel is wrong because I don't want onions so I should pay less than what the core price is. However, the maker of the core (hamburger) has set the price of the core to include tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and pickles. If I don't want to pay for cheese there is a solution... I bring my own. The down side is I still had to pay for the cheese just at a reduced cost by removing their "labor charge" for slapping on a piece of cheese. If I had the time and money I would make a hamburger joint that charged for each individual ingredient of the burger.

My point is at least the price of the core (VM) is not changed but the definition of it is redefined. I'm not happy about it but as I see it I have two choices. Don't use cheese or bring my own. I scrape the onions off and give them to my wife cause she loves 'em, after all I'm payin' for 'em anyway.