News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

How to change Account Maintenance Fields

Started by buhnad, February 14, 2012, 20:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buhnad

In the Account Maintenance Page there is couple of fields that i want to remove like
          [
Shopper Information
User Permissions:    shopper
Customer id/Internal VM user ID:   
Shopper Group:
----AND----
Register date    2012-02-14 19:10:04
Last visit    2012-02-14 19:16:56
            ]
how to configure that?

cas

Same problem here.  How do we stop the display of Shopper Information to our customers on the Account Maintenance page?  They do not need to see User Permissions, Customer id, and Shopper Group.  Please help us.

sadrem

Hello,

You must customize shopper view in your template like :
1) find file components\com_virtuemart\views\user\tmpl\edit_shopper.php
2) move to templates\"your template name"\html\com_virtuemart\user\
3) find line "echo $this->loadTemplate('vmshopper');" about line 30
4)comment it. You must get " //echo $this->loadTemplate('vmshopper'); "
That's all.
p.s. Do not forget to change message icon to Solved.

cas

Hi sadrem, I know I can do an override, but that creates long term maintenance headaches every time a new VM release comes out.   Since the information displayed in this box is completely useless to our customers... for example Customer ID: 899f04cf4fcf44bf2d58c4a2aba1d2a4

VM team, what value does it add to show this crazy customer id to our customers?  Can you please stop displaying the Shopper Information box. 

cas

VM team, can we get an update on this?  What value does it add to show this crazy customer id to our customers?  Can you please stop displaying the Shopper Information box. 

TRIPLEdm

JC
www.tripledm.com
www.sapromo.com
"... Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a gift, that's why we call it Present"

spacecadet

my complaint here was unjustified and i should not have made it. i've deleted my original remarks.

i appreciate the responses made below. thank you.

jenkinhill

spacecadet, there are 5 people requesting this here, but the solution is posted within the thread by sadrem. A pretty small number compared to the many thousands of VM2 sites now live.

For those countries where a unique shopper id is not required to be shown to the customer then it is easy to remove the fields from view using a simple template override. Since the release of Joomla 1.5 template overrides have been used to control output by modules and components. They are simple to use and do not get overwritten during updates.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

AH

This is not an issue, it is just a feature you do not like!

Just do an override to get exactly what you want, and why would such an override get overwritten in each new version if you have applied it using the technique described by th eJoomla team and in these forums??

The benefit of VM being opensource is that YOU can change it if required  :)

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Maxim Pishnyak

Quote from: spacecadet on June 11, 2013, 10:47:08 AM
Again, feel free to delete this post if this is considered inappropriate.
Spacecadet, inappropriateness of your current post relates well with the total amount of your posts on this forum.

Actually I saw people with much higher level of non-tolerance, but, hey, they had only 1-2 posts made by em on forum.

Could you believe that posters which have higher level of own presence on VM forum gains more attention and respect here?

Regards.
You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews
Join us at
https://twitter.com/virtuemart

Milbo

Quote from: sadrem on June 10, 2012, 23:23:49 PM
Hello,

You must customize shopper view in your template like :
1) find file components\com_virtuemart\views\user\tmpl\edit_shopper.php
2) move to templates\"your template name"\html\com_virtuemart\user\
3) find line "echo $this->loadTemplate('vmshopper');" about line 30
4)comment it. You must get " //echo $this->loadTemplate('vmshopper'); "
That's all.

I think it is better to overwrite the layout components\com_virtuemart\views\user\tmpl\edit_vmshopper.php, loaded by "loadTemplate". Then you do not change the main file. Just an empty edit_vmshopper.php in the override folder solves the problem more future proof. And really this can be done even by someone who is not able to open a file, lol. Just create a new one, thats it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Maxim Pishnyak

Quote from: Milbo on June 12, 2013, 12:53:13 PM
... And really this can be done even by someone who is not able to open a file, lol. Just create a new one, thats it.
Ahah! Put this in the Quote of the Week, please!
You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews
Join us at
https://twitter.com/virtuemart

spacecadet

I am unable to resolve this problem still.

I have tried both solutions presented above, and for me, neither of them appear to work.

I've created the edit_vmshopper.php empty file and placed it in override folder. Had no effect.

I've also followed the sadrem instructions, again in override folder, and no effect.

I've triple checked that I am doing it all as per the instructions, and I am confident that I am.

If anyone can suggest any reasons why it might not be working for me, or possible *dumb* things that I might have done that I can check, I would be grateful.

To address some of the other comments that have been made: I don't actually agree that the ability to display this customer ID number is a feature that I, or anyone else, just doesn't like. It's got nothing to do with that. This ID is only displayed, as I understand it, where it is a legal obligation to do so.  No one would, surely, choose to have a 32-digit alphanumeric code to identify each shopper. I have customers ringing up at the moment who have laboriously written down the whole number and thinking they need to now quote it! So if it's legally required, then ok, but in every other country, where it is not legally required, no one is going to want it. I am in the EU, and as far as I am aware, it is not a requirement here. So far from it being something that 5-6 people might "like" to have, it seems to me that it is a necessary choice to offer every VM user, and only those who need to display it would choose to.

For the rest, a checkbox would be useful. But if not a checkbox: I would suggest some kind of VirtuemMart bug-tracker page. Maybe it exists and I just haven't found it. but for everyone who wants to simply turn off that long number, the only solution is to find this thread, work through it, and implement the modifications. It would be really useful to have a page listing known identified issues, and links to where the solutions can be found. I don't mind having to make the mods. I get it. But in this case, it seems like a perfect candidate for a simple backend check box.

In any case, my client wants it removed, so i need to find a way to do so. If I am doing something obviously wrong, then my apologies for wasting people's time.

jenkinhill

Both of those solutions should have had an effect - did you put the override files  in the correct directory - yourJoomlatemplate/html/com_virtuemart/user/  ?

For our sites I remove the following section of code from edit_shopper.php so the user addresses still display and use the edited file as an override:

<?php if( $this->userDetails->virtuemart_user_id!=0)  {
    echo 
$this->loadTemplate('vmshopper');
    } 
?>

I'll do this until the EU rules that all member countries must show the full id.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum