News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

UPGRADE TO VIRTUEMART 2.0 + DATA TRANSFER

Started by jeronimo078, February 13, 2012, 17:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronimo078

Hello,
It may be a basic question but i can't find the answer nowhere.
I have my site now running on Joomla! 1.5 and i'm building a new site (new domain, host etc, so i'm not upgrading but a whole new site)
I have 700 products in my old in site, so i don't like to manually transfer them all to the new site
Is there an option to transfer all the data from joomla 1.5 + virtuemart 1.1.9 to joomla 2.5 + virtuemart 2.0?
I already tried CSVI but the fields on virtuemart 1.1.9 are not the same as virtuemart 2.0
As I already asked, is there an option to transfer all the data to the new site?

Thank you very much
I'm sorry for my english

--------
Jeroen
Grandcruwijnen.nl

charles99

heres a quick and simple way to move from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5.1!

download VM 2.0 not VM2.0.1...  Nothing beyond VM 2.0.    Install it on your Joomla 1.5.25 site.   install the sample data too.  Once you do that, all your data will be in the right structure and you can run the migration tool to import your VM 1.1.9 products into VM 2.0.   

Now download joomla 2.5.1 from Joomla.org or if your belong a template club download a quick start copy of their 2.5.1 template and install it or a clean version of Joomla 2.5.1 instead of trying to do an update.  Once you installed Joomla 2.5.1 on your system just export the Virtuemart 2.0 file from your database, then simply import the virtuemart 2.0 data you just downloaded or exported into you clean install of joomla 2.5.1.

Copy the Virtuemart Directory from your VM 1.1.9 system to your new Joomla 2.5.1 site.  Then run VM 2.0.1 k or H and it will update all your data and you are good to go!

keep in mind once you install VM 2.0 on your VM 1.1.9 system it will create the following directory structure that you will need to copy over to your J2.5.1 system. 
So when you do install VM 2.0.1 k or H it will find all of your images in the directories outlined in the image I am attaching to this post...  now I know it may seem  you have a lot to do but you can knock this out in less than 40 minutes....

[attachment cleanup by admin]

xdoktor

hey charles99,

tried your method on my local XAMPP installtion and VM2 install caused site to then crash...didnt know VM2 installs on J1.5.25?

how you get to work?

cheers
Dok

jeronimo078

Thank you for your answer!, but i found out that there is u much easier way, no not much, a it is just is just a little easier :P
I made for you a really easy guide (i hope so)

You can better do this on a test site!

1. BACKUP YOUR SITE!!!!!
2. Open your ftp client and go to "server ---> administrator ---> components" and change "com_virtuemart" to something else, i changed it to "old_com_virtuemart" (you may also do this for "server ---> components"
3. move your product/manufacturer/vendor images into images/stories/virtuemart and there in the right subfolders. (category, manufacturer, product, vendor)
4. disable all virtuemart extensions
5. set your default joomla frontend language to the one used in the description of your products. It is important to do this step before updating VirtueMart for installing the correct default VirtueMart languages tables.
6. now go to your site and go to the installer
7. install virtuemart 2.0 (as said before, don't install 2.1/2.0.1/2.2 etc.)
8. after the installer is done, install the sample data
9. after the sample data is installed go back to the installer and install the AIO component
10. go to the administrator, set the language(s) for your store, even if your store is not multilingual and save the VirtueMart configuration.
11. now go to the configuration of in virtuemart and enable "Enable database Update tools".
12. after that is done, go to Tools ---> tools&migration ---> and click on the tab migration
13. first choose "Everything" and then click "Start Migration"
14. just click "Start Migration" as many times as it takes for all products to migrate
15. now install jupgrade (http://redcomponent.com/free-downloads/cat_view/931-jupgrade)
16. after installing is done go to the component jupgrade and click on preferences
17. make sure "Distribution" is set to joomla 2.5 and make sure everything is set to "no" except "Keep original positions?" and "Delete previous migration" and save
18. now click on the big button to upgrade
19. after the upgrade is done go to www.yoursite.com/jupgrade and lo-gin
(if the components are not upgraded don't worry, you just have to install them again, but it may take some time...)
if Virtuemart is still on your upgraded site, then you don't have to follow the steps, go to step 27
20. install virtuemart 2.0 again and then install the sample data
21. install the AIO component
22. Now go to the administrator, set the language(s) for your store, even if your store is not multilingual and save the VirtueMart configuration.
23. now go to the configuration of in virtuemart and enable "Enable database Update tools".
24. after that is done, go to Tools ---> tools&migration ---> and click on the tab migration
25. first choose "Everything" and then click "Start Migration"
26. just click "Start Migration" as many times as it takes for all products to migrate
27. now test your site and test, test, test till it works fully to your preferences
To make from upgraded site the main site, do the following
28. Create a subfolder (I created "myoldsite") for the Joomla 1.5 installation in your HTML root, e.g. public_html/myoldsite
29. Select all the folders (***except the jupgrade folder***) and files in the html root and move them into the Joomla 1.5 subfolder ("myoldsite")
30. Select all the folders and files in the jupgrade folder and move them to the html root
31. Double check the frontend and backend, if everything works go to the last step, step 32!
32. You're done, the last step is: enjoy your new awesome virtuemart! ;D

I'm sorry for my English, but i tried to do my best on this tutorial!

amet123

after Full migration of database Can I delete all the old #__vm_ tables in the database?
Amit Vaid

Gap Solution
Web Development

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

ironlion37

Hi,

After installing VM 2.0 on the 1.5.25 site in preparation for the migration, I press "install sample data" and get the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class vmRequest in /home/content/x/x/x/xxxxx/xxx/xxxx/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/request.class.php on line 597

Does anyone know why this is happening?

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

ironlion37

Thank you. That was the error. What I'm stuck on now is I can't get the media files to associate with the products after the 1.1.9 to 2.0 migration. I've tried synchronizing them before the migration, after the migration, and neither seems to work.