News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

USPS Plugin for Domestic and International Shipping on VM 2.0

Started by mangotti, January 28, 2012, 03:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mangotti

Does anyone have in development a USPS plugin that will calculate based on zip code and weight for both Domestic and International shipping? If so, I am willing to pay for it.

mangotti

Development Team: Are any of you developing this for VM 2.0? If so, is there a cost associated?

NawtyAtNight

I believe Alatak has develop a usps plug in, I think its going for $60 bucks. Send her a PM.

mangotti

I read that elsewhere but my PM to her has gone unanswered for the past couple weeks. I will make another attempt but I think the VM team has vowed silence to me because of my vocalness of the state of VM2.

NawtyAtNight

Quote from: mangotti on February 11, 2012, 01:53:17 AM
I read that elsewhere but my PM to her has gone unanswered for the past couple weeks. I will make another attempt but I think the VM team has vowed silence to me because of my vocalness of the state of VM2.

Yeah...... that's one thing never to do. The development team works on the Virtuemart platform on their own time, people that usually don't understand development think that the software should be released with all the bugs fixed, plus all the addons needed for the platform. That would be the case if it was a closed source software, something that large companies tend to do all development , testing, and quality assurance in house.

Virtuemart is being developed under the Open Source license, which in turn means that it is built by the community for the community. All testing, development and quality assurance is done by the community. knowing that Virtuemart 2.0 has just been released, people should know that a lot of plug-ins and functionality are still being developed and many bug fixes and enhancements are being added to Virtuemart. ( As the saying goes...Rome was not built in one Day)

I really do appreciate all the hard work and time the developers have spent on Virtuemart. I know for some developers trying to earn a living working on opensource software is a gamble, as the only means to really make money is buy developing commercial plugins, ebooks, or offering support for the software, but its only really doable if the Virtuemart software is adopted by many users.

that being said, Im pretty sure a USPS plug-in will pop up soon. If not you could always head over to elancer or odesk and hire some one for the job. Maybe you can release it urself after its done and make some money off it.

i will be taking this approach if I dont hear about a UPS plugin in about a Months time.

Sorry for the rant

mangotti

I don't disagree that the developers work hard to make a product for the masses, however, it's very frustrating that may posts are going unanswered all across this board. There are many parts of VM2 that require more work in order to make them functional. Instead of many posts going unanswered, I believe that someone should just come out and say "this does not work right now and we are going to fix it." Instead, many members here are banging their heads on the wall because they are being told that it's supposed to function that way but in reality it's not quite there yet. Regardless, I do know the team is working hard but some acknowledgment on the boards would be nice as well. Regardless of being ignored on many of my posts, I have continued with the project and even have tried to help other members that are facing frustration.

rlspencer

In defense of no reply.. Alatak was working on the USPS for my site.  It had a small bug when the USPS updated their prices on  Jan.14, 2012 which she just fixed.  It is working and it cost 50 euro for commercial license.   ...  My problem is that guest checkout does not work.  Test your sites and see if the payment system works when checking out as guest. 

mangotti

For anyone else that stumbles upon this post and is also in need of such a plugin, please PM me as I may have someone that is willing to develop it for a cost. If we can get a few people together to split it then it will be very affordable.

rlspencer

mangotti

Thanks rlspencer but I have already tried contacting her twice over the past couple of weeks as mentioned above.

alatak

Hi,

QuoteThanks rlspencer but I have already tried contacting her twice over the past couple of weeks as mentioned above.

Yes ,
the USPS plugin is done, and tested thanks to rispencer that has been very patient.

I get a lot of PM's, some important, some not. I am sorry, if I took some time to answer you.

ralfeez

vdoph

I have purchased and installed the USPS shipping module from Alatak today.

However, I have some questions, and cannot seem to find the answers I need to solve my issues.

So, I'll just ask them here, in hopes that I can find solutions to these issues below:

1.) On my site, I have both downloadable and actual products. How do I make items than CAN be shipped to use the plugin, and the others (the downloadable / services) to not require a shipping selection? Currently, if a downloadable item is purchased, VM wants to have the user choose the shipping type, and I cannot seem to override.

2.) In the configuration for the USPS shipping plugin, where is the FOB (shipping origination) point calculated from? If, as I assume, it's a single address (i.e. my Virtuemart setup address), then how to support multiple shipping points, if I have warehouses in multiple locations, for different products? Is this possible?

3.) When I added multiple products to my order (like 10 or more), even though the weight, size, etc. is (I believe) set correctly per product... the USPS plugin it is still offering a small "flat rate" box of USD $5.35. Obviously this is wrong, as I cannot fit 10 of these items into a small box (I've tried, it just won't work  :P ), nowhere close. Is weight AND size considered in the calculations?

4.) Is the plugin tied into the USPS site for shipping labels, etc., or is it simply a calculator.

5.) Is there a direct support option for paid plugin owners, rather than this forum?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Glenn Geller
VDO-Ph International
Thanks,

Glenn Geller
VDO-Ph International

alatak

Hello

Quote1.) On my site, I have both downloadable and actual products. How do I make items than CAN be shipped to use the plugin, and the others (the downloadable / services) to not require a shipping selection? Currently, if a downloadable item is purchased, VM wants to have the user choose the shipping type, and I cannot seem to override.
If the weigth of your product=0, it is considered as a donloadable product.
Create a standard shipment method that you can call "downloadable", with the weight parameter=0

In this case, if only downladable products are in the cart, the shipment method called "downloadable" will be selected
If you have at least one product with a weigth , USPS will be choosen.

Quote2.) In the configuration for the USPS shipping plugin, where is the FOB (shipping origination) point calculated from? If, as I assume, it's a single address (i.e. my Virtuemart setup address), then how to support multiple shipping points, if I have warehouses in multiple locations, for different products? Is this possible?
The shipping oigination is the ZIP code given in the shop configuration.
How to support multiple shipping points? rigth now it is not possible. How do you know which warehouse will be used?

Quote3.) When I added multiple products to my order (like 10 or more), even though the weight, size, etc. is (I believe) set correctly per product... the USPS plugin it is still offering a small "flat rate" box of USD $5.35. Obviously this is wrong, as I cannot fit 10 of these items into a small box (I've tried, it just won't work   ), nowhere close. Is weight AND size considered in the calculations?
If you have selected the flat box in the configuration, then it is displayed.
I do not check the number of items.
I will check this , but how can i know that in your case the flat box is ok for 10 products or not ?

Quote4.) Is the plugin tied into the USPS site for shipping labels, etc., or is it simply a calculator.
Rigth  now it is only a calculator.

Quote5.) Is there a direct support option for paid plugin owners, rather than this forum?
Contact us via this link http://extensions.virtuemart.net/vendor/1/contact