News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

pay via paypal without a paypal account?

Started by shakir, January 26, 2012, 01:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakir

Hi guys.
Just setup an online store and want to be able to have customers pay using their credit card via the paypal api but not have to create a paypal account.
I see no option for pay using paypal as a guest.

Do you have to have a paypal business account to do this?

jenkinhill

Yes, you need a business account, although in the UK the option is offered for premium accounts, but is not obviously shown on the Paypal payment page. This assumes that card payment is offered at all by Paypal in your country.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

John2400

Yes Australia too- from an Australian the vendor needs an account - easy to set up.
the customer does not - can use credit cards etc,

freeme

Quote from: jamescharls123 on March 29, 2012, 14:22:38 PM
There is a service known as Guest Payments provided by PayPal in which you can pay by credit card whether you have a PayPal account or not.
This is right, but the "Guest Payment" by PayPal is actually nothing else than registering a new PayPal-account at the end...

redwolfe

I spent some time on this so I'm logging my solution for future head-scratchers. 

When I tested our Virtuemart 2.0.6 checkout procedure the user had only two options:
- pay with an existing Paypal account
- create a new Paypal account and pay using that

On googling, I saw somewhere that non-Paypal users had to be enabled in Paypal->My Profile->WebsiteSettings or a similar location.  I logged into Paypal and spent ages looking, but nowhere could I find this setting. 

The solution?  We had set up Paypal with a business email address that I wasn't monitoring.  I didn't realise that the business owner hadn't clicked the link on the Paypal confirmation email.  I did this and got a 'You have completed setup of your Paypal account' type page.  I was then easily able to find the setting to enable non-Paypal users, and the problem went away.

Hope this helps someone out there.

sixeyeco

redwolfe, please describe the process of getting this to work. I am deeply interested.

I have a paypal business acct with a verified email address. I have api credentials. I cannot find the path your mentioned on paypal's site.

John2400

There are two idea of paypal - standard and express.

Standard is in the system where you just use your email address and nothing else. ( this comes standard with VM2)

Express Is here _ it is free software , http://plugins.online-store.co.uk/paypal_express_checkout.html

http://plugins.online-store.co.uk/paypal_express_checkout/screenshots.html