News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM2.0.1 - Custom Fields - How to display in dropdown?

Started by cas, January 25, 2012, 07:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cas

I just upgraded to VM2.0.1 from VM2.0.0, and my previously defined Custom Fields of type Cart Variant are no longer valid and needed to be deleted.  Fortunately I didn't have too many defined.  I then defined a new Custom Fields of type String and added it to the product, but on the website they are now displayed as radio buttons.  When they were of type Cart Variant in VM2.0.0 they displayed in a dropdown on the website.  How do I get Custom Fields to display as a dropdown using the new types?   

cas

Greenhouse

Same for me... using 2.0.0 with Joomla 1.7. NO dropdowns appearing. I don;t see the 2.0.1b... where/how can I download it?... I have to be able to create simple dropdowns....

Thanks

cas

In VM 2.0.0 there are dropdowns.  It was a problem in early versions of VM 2.0.1.  In VM 2.0.0 did you define the custom fields as type Cart Variant? 

Greenhouse

Yes... and I can then assign them within the product, but I'm unable yo add multiple  choices in the same dropdown. I end up with one dropdown, but can;'t add additional variations/attributes to it. Can you be specific, or send me to a tutorial?

tx

cas

Okay, so now you have the dropdown working, but you want to do multiple selections within the same dropdown?  If so, I'll need to let the VM folks reply on how to do that.  My website didn't need multiple select dropdowns. 

Greenhouse

Thanks. But a dropdown with only one variant, isn't a dropdown, is it?

This is amazing to me. A simple drop down menu for product attributes, and I've spent hours with no success, and a bunch of running around on versions, bugs, etc. Still nothing

VirtueMart team... please.. what's the story here?

TX

cas

That's not what I asked.  It sounded like you wanted a multi-select dropdown.  That is different than a dropdown with multiple options to select one from.  So to get multiple entries in the same dropdown, you need to add multiple entries of the same Custom Field in the product custom fields editor.   So for example, you define a Custom Field of type Cart Variant and name it Size.  Then in the product editor, in the Custom Fields tab, you pick the Size custom field 3 times, and then you name one of them Small, the second one Medium, and the third one name it Large.  Does this make sense now?

Greenhouse

Thanks... giving it a try. Do the.. Publish Admin, Is it a list, hidden, cart attribute radio button in the custom field setup matter?

cas

Here is how I have them set:
Published: yes
Parent: none set
Cart Attribute: yes
Admin only: no
Is a list?: no
Hidden: no

Greenhouse

You're awesome.

This should be posted BIG on their home page. Lots of folks frustrated. I'm having an issue with the pricing though... it's adding an amount from one of the dropdown items to the price of the item, doubling it. How so I keep this from happening.

cas

Thanks Greenhouse!  I just learned this stuff like you're doing now through trial & error, and a few nice forum folks who helped me.   

As far as the pricing, it all depends on what you have set in the Tax & Calculation Rules. 

Greenhouse

not charging any tax. All prices are the same... so the price is always $28.00... no matter what you choose from the drop down. If I take the prices out of the drop down field, it says "free" next to them.

Greenhouse

And now my quantity field says the same things as my drop down does. How come everyone brags about this product?... so much time spent on these simple things.

cas

You can change the "Free" to anything you want by doing a Joomla language override.  Look this feature up in Joomla... it works great to override labels without your changes getting overridden when you upgrade Joomla or the extensions such as VM. 
It's so easy... Just edit the file: your-root\language\overrides\en-GB.override.ini
Add the line: COM_VIRTUEMART_CART_PRICE_FREE="put whatever you want it to say here"
For me I made it blank "" so nothing displays when the price is 0. 

I also added this line in the override file to change the Joomla user profile plugin label 'Region' to 'State':
PLG_USER_PROFILE_FIELD_REGION_LABEL="State:"

This override feature is a great Joomla feature.