News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Open each link in new window

Started by 100gods, January 24, 2012, 16:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

100gods

Hello,

How can VM Category listing be configured so that each click will result in opening Category products in new window ?

Thanks.

Using: VM 2.0.x , Joomla 1.7.x

John2400

So you want the Virtuemart page to remain steady.
When You click on a Category a new window opens on top of the virtuemart page ( now you have two windows open)

And so on - so either you get new tabs showing the categories or you have actual new windows showing products?

I have done it -
1) create a HTML page with images of your categories ( all done in dreamweaver or another coding software) very easy - put hot links or links attached to each photo that point to your VM category pages. ( the links on images must be set to _new)
Now use the wrapper function in Joomla and put that page you have designed on the front of VM.  ( you now have control over the categories) clcik on a link and they open in a new window.

2) Turn on the module for Categories on the front page - each time you write a new category ( ensure the link is also set to _new)

Now joomla have all this set up for you in links - if you play around with the joomla set up- even outside of categories - link make  menu your self - then mak links to the category sections- set the jump links to - new or blank

* Even in the description part of the Category - you can set an image or text to open in a new window- Joomla and virtuemart have all this already there for you. ( maybe you could set the link there to open a category)

100gods

Hey John2400,

Thanks a lot for sparing your time - and sharing these pointers.
Please consider the enclosed snapshot to better explain my results.

1) create a HTML page with images of your categories ( all done in dreamweaver or another coding software) ....
I have created the entire site using Joomla and VM.. I do not want to spoil the structure  !!! I would rather pass this option for the time being.

" 2) Turn on the module for Categories on the front page - each time you write a new category ( ensure the link is also set to _new) "

I tried to create a "New Category" but I do not see any option for "LINK" !!
Please advise.

" 3. play around with the joomla set up- even outside of categories - link make  menu your self - then mak links to the category sections- set the jump links to - new or blank"
This worked..
I am able to make my "Menu items" open in new window.

Please advise on how to open VM Categories in new window/ tab once user clicks on them.

Thanks once again.

----
Using VM 2.0.x ; Joomla 1.7.3

[attachment cleanup by admin]

John2400

Hi 100gods - in earlier versions I'm sure I it had that option to create a link from the menu items directlyof "new" so that it would open on a new link.

In joomla if you create links you should always be able to set a new link to jump to a new window- so you should be able to create your own menu to do this.

The first option is done by a lot of people on their home page - left menus all stay the same - but by creating a simple HTML page and putting links on it to jukmp to menus should be quite simple. ( use the wrapper function to put it in)

That way your front page can look anyway you like - almost any visual effct you link with links opening new pages in Virtuemart. ( this does not change anything in virtuemart) - in my advice option 1 is really eay and make your site peresonal.

* Just Thinking of another option - I have not done this but you could keep it all in virtuemart by making a single article and in that article you could build a page with images or text or both. These would jump to a new page if the links were set correctlt. Then make that page your home page.