News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Is VM the solution?

Started by hiya83, January 18, 2012, 08:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiya83

Hi,

So I have a certain use case for my site, but I am not sure if VM is the right solution, so please enlighten me. The following is a quick overview of my usage: on the site, there are 2 classes of users that can be registered, a service provider and a service requester. So there is a pool of service providers that are registered on the site with the services they provide and the options. Now a service requester logs on the site and picks a certain service from the listed providers and selects a whole set of customized settings and options. After the requester has selected his/her order, this essentially becomes a new "product" that the requester will pay for, hopefully through Paypal or some other payment gateway. The requester can also write reviews/rate the service provider after the transaction is complete. Since I don't have a concrete list of products, is VM still a viable solution for what I need? Or would I be better off just creating my own table of products which gets populated with a new order form, and use some paypal module/or write one myself to finish the payment?

Thanks!

jenkinhill

VirtueMart would not be suitable unless extensively modified. I guess that SobiPro may be the best tool to use for this - http://www.sigsiu.net/sobipro.html
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

hiya83

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I took a look at SobiPro, and whilst it does seem similar, I don't think it's quite what I need. I think I'll probably just code it up myself; I don't think it'll be that complex (hopefully ;)). The main hurdle I see will be payment using Paypal API (or Google checkout). Any tips/advise for that step that you are willing to impart?

Thanks!

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum