News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Adding Custom Fields: Can we have a SIMPLE demo?

Started by qazwart, January 15, 2012, 20:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qazwart

I have used VirtueMart 1.1 in the past and had figured out how to do optional fields (or whatever they're called). Now, I'm using VirtueMart 2.0 and am lost.

I checked the documentation link on the website, but the only documentation is for version 1.1 which is completely different from version 2.0. I've gone through this forum, but simply find a lot of people asking the same questions I have.

I am a developer. I write programs. I do system administration and configuration management. I consider myself highly technical. However, I'm completely lost trying to do what should be a fairly simple task.

We hare having a weekend campout, and I'd like to use VirtueMart to make reservations. Someone will come on, and make reservations for their entire family. Each reservation is a single item in my store. If you are making five reservations, you buy five products. For ease, I'll have adult reservations vs. child reservation vs. scout reservations. This way, I can ask the needed information for each type of person (we need kids ages for programming purposes. We don't want to embarrass adults by asking their age.) We need the names of these people, where they plan to sleep (cabin or tent), their meal plan, etc. We also need their names, and for kids, we need ages, and if they're scouts, their scout rank.

Some of these will be drop down lists and some will be text fields. Some of these text fields will be mandatory (Name) and some optional (Allergies).

After spending several hours chasing down leads, I've finally figured out how to have a drop down list. Now, I need to figure out how to put in both mandartoy and optional text fields.

Is it possible for someone to give fairly simple straight forward directions on how to do these two or three things. I'd be glad to put together a simple set of directions that can be posted to the FAQ for easy access.

renegadesk

Best (only) resource I've found is here http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Product_custom_fields_without_stock_control

Have you had a look at that yet?

I haven't been able to work out dropdowns yet or anything to fancy but for just basic custom fields the above tutorial helped me.

qazwart

Yeah, I found the same link. I can now get a drop down field, but not a text field. I was able to do this on VirtueMart 1.1, but the interface in 2.0 is completely different.

I did notice this notice on the front of the Forum:

QuoteYou may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself

I get the feeling there is so little information about managing VirtueMart so that you are forced to pay someone to set it up or forced to pay to take a seminar.