News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

When will a VM 2.0 Manual Be Available?

Started by rossstudio, January 12, 2012, 22:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossstudio

I'm trying to set up a VM 2.0 site using the old manual. Not going well. It may be similar, like apples to apples, but we are talking about Granny Smith vs. Macintosh, there are diffferences.

When will a VM 2.0 manual become available?

Thank you.

Anthony

dazd

sydneyartschool

I have just come back to give VM a try on one of my sites.  Some nice improvements - but really -  NO Documentation?! -  If you want a user community that is made up of business users and not IT guys then this is something that should go high on the priority list.

tobisagt

I just can speak for myself, if you are know joomla and virtuemart 1, i think you shouldn't have big problems with virtuemart 2. VM2 is really easy to setup and the most important things are discussed in this forum.  :)

rossstudio

Quote from: tobisagt on January 13, 2012, 22:39:40 PM
I just can speak for myself, if you are know joomla and virtuemart 1, i think you shouldn't have big problems with virtuemart 2. VM2 is really easy to setup and the most important things are discussed in this forum.  :)

I am completely new. So far, like I said, apples to apples but they are different apples. Also, it doesn't help that VM 2 is still buggy. I don't know what I can't do.

sydneyartschool

Quote from: tobisagt on January 13, 2012, 22:39:40 PM

No - its not easy to set up.  How to use custom fields is not intuitive and are completely new to VM2.
Trawling forums for instructions is not the "future of ecommerce" software.

The bottom line is that I teach small business owners how to build their own websites.  They are not experts in Joomla or VM.  They just learn enough to keep things going. I can't recommend VM2 to them yet because of the lack of documentation.

jenkinhill

VM2 is not a turnkey operation and was never intended to be so. It has not been out for 4 weeks yet and the bugs that appear when a component such as this suddenly gets used by many hundreds of different users (nearly 100,000 downloads so far) have yet to be resolved. Functions and ways to do things may change as a result.

Documentation is OK (as long as someone has the time to write it - without any payment, of course) but is soon out of date. The Wiki already is used and this may be the way to go. In the meantime one of the 3 VM devs is writing a VM2 book which should help, although I don't know if it will be in French, German or English.

After I set up a new client site I teach the business owners how to use it, if it is a VM site I show how to add, manage products, orders etc.. I would not dream of suggesting they set up their own VM sites either with or without extensive documentation. When someone tries this and comes to me for subsequent support the usual answer is to scrap the lot, accept the waste of time, and let me build from anew.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum