News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

SUPER PISSED OFF! No SHIPPING OR PAYMENT YET?

Started by kthackston, January 11, 2012, 03:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kthackston

I JUST WASTED A WEEK OF WORK TRYING TO UTILIZE VM 2.0 FINALLY GET IT INSTALLED AND MY 1.9 MIGRATED ONLY TO DISCOVER THERE ARE NO PAYMENT OR SHIPPING OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR 2.0? HOW RIDICULOUS IS THIS?

YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER POSTING THIS INFORMATION ALL OVER YOUR WEBSITE SO THAT OTHER PEOPLE DON'T WASTE THEIR TIME TOO. THIS IS NOT READY FOR RELEASE ON A LIVE WEBSITE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

kthackston

my site isn't a live site, I can read quite well, thank you very much. However, VM has 2.0 listed on Joomla extensions as though it were a fully working extension, which it is not. IT IS VERY MIS-REPRESENTATIONAL!

I had the full intentions of creating a new site with VM 2.0 and migrating my old info, but clearly that is impossible since IT ISN'T A FULLY FUNCTIONING EXTENSION! I'll be switching over to Magento Community Edition, clearly a better platform with a lot more documentation and much better support.

jenkinhill

kthackston please do not SHOUT.

When VirtueMart 2 was released, just 3 weeks ago, it included a generic shipper plugin and two payment plugins which are installed by
com_virtuemart_ext_aio.2.0.0  in the installation package. Further payment plugins will be made available soon, awaiting approval from the payment processors such as authorize.net

There are already VM2 shops up and running on-line, eg http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96216.0 and http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=95285.0
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

stinga

Not quite sure what you are shouting about then? It's not a live site and you read the post that says "DO NOT MIGRATE/UPDATE A LIVE SITE"
There is a generic shipper plugin and two payment plugins.

This is why IT people recommend a test and development site to play with.
Stinga.
614869 products in 747 categories with 15749 products in 1 category.
                                             Document Complete   Fully Loaded
                Load Time First Byte Start Render   Time      Requests      Time      Requests
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

observ3r

observe that (s)he is a beginner, just like me... ;D

kthackston

I'm upset because you've represented this at Joomla.org as THE option for Virtuemart, meaning 2.0 is THE OPTION. Additionally, in order to discover that it was not actually fully functionally with all the same plugins that come out of the box for VM 1.0 I had to install, which had any number of errors on it's on. I could never install without errors UNLESS I installed the Sample Data and then manually delete it. It kept throwing up  a "No Shop Currency defined! Go to link" It was only after spending HOURS pouring over the forum that I finally discovered that. And, because I had taken advantage of being able to name my database with a different prefix, I had to manually rename the database from VM 1 with the same prefix before it would import without errors. Again, 2 days and a lot of help offline from a member here (BanquetPro -  whom I cannot thank enough) These things are NOTEWORTHY, because once you actually know them the install was simple.  But it's not in your documentation, ie YOU MUST INSTALL THE SAMPLE DATA FOR THE INSTALL TO WORK. YOUR DATABASE MUST BE NAMED THE STANDARD "jos_" WITH NO CHANGES OR ADDITIONS FOR THE MIGRATION TO WORK.

So imagine my surprise when I finally have a working shop with all of my products, images, order history etc - everything is in place. All I need to do is sort out the shipping and the payment and my store is complete. NOT. Because there are no shipping and payment options to choose from, at least they do not exist in the same way that they do in VM 1. Because I had had so much trouble with the install, I assumed it was my mistake. I spent another 2-3 hours on the FORUM and in the EXTENSIONS trying to find something that I could use. NOTHING.

I feel quite strongly that you have mis-represented this as being ready. Time is precious and no one wants to spend more than they have to thinking they will get a certain outcome, ie a working VM 2.0 cart complete with the ability to process payments and ship. The simple ship and payment plugins you speak of are fairly useless. They do not call out to anything. The payment plugin does not even give you the option to take credit card info. If it does, clearly it is only meant to be used by someone that has A LOT of experience writing code. And while I could eventually figure it out, I shouldn't have to.

I FULLY APPRECIATE that you guys have been working on this for quite some time and you feel the push from your public to make it live, but I think you jumped the gun and you are hurting your brand more than ever by doing so. If I search Virtuemart in Joomla extension, 2.0 is the working option that I comes up. THAT IS what I mean by misrepresenting where this version is truly at. You should have kept the 2 separate. I just hope that someone with less experience doesn't come across it and get burned the way I have. Like I said, it doesn't matter that my site is not live. Time is money and you have wasted mine.

peppercornmedia

I feel your pain kthackston.

At the very least, they could advise that features that existed in previous versions, no longer exist - BEFORE we go down the tedious path of installing, migrating and configuring.

tomcat8118

Quote from: kthackston on January 11, 2012, 18:24:46 PM
Time is money and you have wasted mine.[/b][/size]

Let's keep in mind this is a free product so i can hardly see how they have wasted your money....

peppercornmedia

tomcat8118 - money is wasted, as days are spent migrating a product which you only discover AFTER the migration, is actually not able to be used. I may as well have gone and played solitare, for all the lost productivity it brings.

Developers have a reasonable expectation, in the absence of any suggestion otherwise (release notes, for example) that previously existing functionality - particularly the critical payment and shipping systems, would still be present from previous versions.

Now - many additional hours (which cost money) needs to be spent, developing the payment and shipping systems which have been removed.

If we had a clue that these functions no longer existed, we would have found another solution or at least been able to factor in the costs of this extra development time into our budgets and project plans.

>:(

Milbo

Quote from: peppercornmedia on January 12, 2012, 08:14:01 AM
I feel your pain kthackston.

At the very least, they could advise that features that existed in previous versions, no longer exist - BEFORE we go down the tedious path of installing, migrating and configuring.

Sorry, but that shows just, that you do not know reality and that you ignore the circumstances of the world. Do the linux guys manage it? Do microsoft manage it? No, they do not, so how should we? There are 800 vm1.1 extension,.. do you think it is right to release vm2, when we have again 800 extensions, grown over the years? I think not. It is a henn-egg problem. People start to write plugins, when there is a "final" X.0, not before.

YOU MUST INSTALL THE SAMPLE DATA FOR THE INSTALL TO WORK. YOUR DATABASE MUST BE NAMED THE STANDARD "jos_" WITH NO CHANGES OR ADDITIONS FOR THE MIGRATION TO WORK.

This is just wrong, just a lie. I dont know what to say, the virtuemart logo is in blue, not red, when you keep telling somethign different it is a lie for me, what is not working when you do not install sample data? and please lern the habits of internet, you are screaming (uppercase is screaming). Screaming is whole sentences is just rude.

So imagine my surprise when I finally have a working shop with all of my products, images, order history etc - everything is in place. All I need to do is sort out the shipping and the payment and my store is complete. NOT. Because there are no shipping and payment options to choose from, at least they do not exist in the same way that they do in VM 1. Because I had had so much trouble with the install, I assumed it was my mistake. I spent another 2-3 hours on the FORUM and in the EXTENSIONS trying to find something that I could use. NOTHING.
Why do tell this lie and wrote it in the JED? Maybe there is nothing on the forum, because no one thinks that this must be explained. Install the AIO and then
go to the payment or shipment view and press "NEW", create your paypal method.

I feel quite strongly that you have mis-represented this as being ready. Time is precious and no one wants to spend more than they have to thinking they will get a certain outcome, ie a working VM 2.0 cart complete with the ability to process payments and ship.

And you do not understand the difference of buying some finished Microsoft program and to buy "microsoft windows". Every new operating system has this problem and every framework, which is Virtuemart. Virtuemart 2 is a core! the core must be released BEFORE ! so that other people can write payment and shipment plugins. So you have always this problem. This is a software generation problem and has nothing todo with us, the virtuemart team.

First you say there are no payment plugins, then you say the payment plugin is useless. Instead of saying the reality.

"I am sorry, but I cant use paypal, I a missing a method to process creditcards." The only really information of your whole post, the rest is slander and just unproffessional shit.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

FidelGonzales

I completely understand the concerns. But the rhetoric ought to be toned down and some reason as well as respect added to the dialogue.

My concerns for the project are referenced upon the link (http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96522.0). VM 2.0 should have never left beta (or release candidacy) without ample core or non-core support that would enable the average shop owner to continue conducting ecommerce transactions immediately after migration. It is simply not possible, as the most common addons do not yet exist. Announcing a three to six month release candidate for the explicit purpose of allowing prominent extensions to attain compatibility would have saved many from costly headaches and also saved the project from the appearance of inadequacy as a world class shopping cart.

And this is not to mention the fact that operation critical product data is lost through the migration process, as indicated in an official statement. This alone is a game changer in the Virtuemart's brand and its quest to attain world class ecommerce status.

Last night, I attempted a migration from 1.9 to 2.0 upon a shop I had just begun building. The shop had no products or sales but did have 565 categories. Following the directions closely, the seemingly simple migration was a fail. My shop was not live, and this is the very reason why it's not a great idea to upgrade immediately after a release, as its usually best to allow other more qualified people work out the bugs, but this is not a great sign.

Milbo

Fidel, did you read that?
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96115.0

Really a lot people migrated successfully their stores from 1.9.8 to 2.0.0, but you need first to update to 1.9.8RC2M, then RC3, then 2.0.0
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

beipink

@kthackston  and peppercornmedia I honestly don't understand you guys....
How long does it take to install in local a testing version of VM2.0 play with the samples data check all what you need is there and then worry about the migration.
I decided to adopt VM 2.0 after i tried it locally with the sample data.
I found out there are still few bugs to be fixed which i reported in this forum but other than that no surprises for me. All the information are here in this forum and on the website.

On another note, if you have no time to get your site up and running there are ppl that do this for a living. Get few quotations around and hire someone to do it for you.

regards
kirk

jenkinhill

I'm closing this thread as it really does nothing to help those who simply want to use VirtueMart 2 and are seeking assistance for problems they may have encountered.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum