News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Bugs caused by wrong comment syntax?

Started by Maggy29, July 27, 2012, 08:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maggy29

I was experiencing two bugs, which only appeared when I installed the site with a hosting company; the bugs did not appear on my local computer.
Both had to do with popups not working, and they were caused by Javascript/JQuery comments. In both cases, the comment lines started with "//", instead of "/*". As soon as I changed this the problem disappeared.

So far, I have found this problem in components/com_virtuemart/views/user/tmpl/edit_address.php and components/com_virtuemart/views/cart/tmpl/default.php.

Can anyone explain me why this behavior shows on one server, but not on the other?

ivus

Hi Maggy29,

QuoteCan anyone explain me why this behavior shows on one server, but not on the other?

Yes. Different servers behave differently based on how they are setup and what they have running it. Simple as that. It's basically the luck of he draw. Usually your host will tell you what is installed on the computer hosting your site, and if the requirements don't meet your standard, you can ask them to move your site to another server. Just ask, and also tell them what your minimum requirements are and most of the times they will be able to accommodate you.

I hope this helps.

Maggy29

Hi Ivus,

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea which parameter influences this behavior? I am aware that websites may behave differently on different servers, but I have never seen this one before.