Replacing Media in a cloned product affects the media in the original product

Started by ChristianBrand, January 07, 2012, 21:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristianBrand

Joomla 1.7.3 in combination with VirtueMart 2.0.0

The Virtuemart Media ID (prefix_virtuemart_product_medias > virtuemart_media_id) remains the same in the database while cloning a product.

That makes sense, because the product image is cloned then as well as the product description and all the other attributes, but if I change the attributes (e.g. the description) the cloned product has this new description, while the original product, I did use to clone the new one, still has it's original description. This is logical, because the cloned product has a new product ID (prefix_virtuemart_products > virtuemart_product_id) and is handled as an independent product now.

So far, so good. If I now do change the product media of the cloned product (e.g. by replacing the image), the media file of the original product is changed (replaced) as well. In my case, this is not intended. I want the media file of the original product to be preserved, when I change the one of the cloned product.

I did figure out, that I can achieve this, if I change the Virtuemart Media ID (prefix_virtuemart_product_medias > virtuemart_media_id) in the database manually to an unused one for the cloned product. Then, I can upload a new product media and the product, I did use to clone the new one, still has its former image.

This method isn't very convenient, because I always have to change the Virtuemart Media ID (prefix_virtuemart_product_medias > virtuemart_media_id) in the database before I can upload another media file, not influencing the appearance of the original product.

Is there a more practical way to do this? Has anyone an idea? Or did I fail to see an easy way to do that? Any hint is appreciated.

dontflinch

I am having the same problem and posted it here:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=103414.msg343539#msg343539

I find it odd that more have not complained of this issue, or maybe many people do not use the clone feature?