News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Too many images in my thumbnail "resized" folder

Started by Kschuler, December 30, 2011, 23:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kschuler

I am setting up my new web store and I am using VM 2.0 and Joomla 1.7.  My web host will not let me have more than 1024 files in a single folder.  My store will have way more products then that.  I don't want to be in violation with my web host, and need to find a way to separate my image folder into different categories so I do not go over the limit.

I have found that if I upload any image, then go back and change the path to that image in the product images tab that the main product image will change.  If I try and create different category folders for the thumbnail images and do the same trick, the thumbnail image never display.  Can anyone help me to figure out how to break down the thumbnail or "resized" folder into sub-folders so that they display properly on the front end?

PRO

there are ways around it, but sounds like you need a new host

stinga

+1, ditch the host, your are going to struggle with that!
There is absolutely no reason for that requirement except for...
1. non-understanding of IS systems.
2. Stupid restrictions

Both of these will come back to bite you at some point. What other daft restrictions are there?
The only way they would know this is if they were actually counting the file via a process, in other words sucking up CPU and disk I/O for no reason what so ever.

There is one wrong reason for doing it... when they formatted the disk they didn't allow enough inodes.
And if you can create millions of sub-folders then they will still have the problem of inode exhaustion.

Who are they? Then we can tell people to avoid them!
Stinga.
614869 products in 747 categories with 15749 products in 1 category.
                                             Document Complete   Fully Loaded
                Load Time First Byte Start Render   Time      Requests      Time      Requests
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

Kschuler

traffi-kat.com is my hosting provider.  They are a re-seller of go-daddy.  I thought go-daddy was alright?  I have seen many people using them.  I had one website with them and had the same problem of too many pictures, and I had to scrap that old site because there were just too many problems to fix past that one problem with the pictures.  So I started over with a new site.  It took them almost 3 years to let me know that I was in violation with the old one, then one day the site didn't work.  Has anyone else had this problem with go-daddy, or is it traffi-kat?

jenkinhill

Far too many people have reported problems with Godaddy for me to recommend them as a host for a Joomla/VirtueMart website. I believe they have got better in recent times, and of course, many thousands of people are happy to have their sites hosted there,  but for a store site I would certainly be looking for a higher level of hosting service. You get what you pay for.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Kschuler

jenkinhill

Well I use unitedhosting.co.uk (or unitedhosting.com for US based servers) and have done for a number of years now. Never had a problem with installations and very quick & personal 24hr support.
Others would have their own preferences, as once you find a reliable, solid host then you stick with them.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum