News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

How to add attributes??

Started by chatpate, December 30, 2011, 00:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatpate

I am trying to sell tshirt with different sizes and colors. I have products for men and women.

How do I add Tshirt size and color in a drop list for men and/or women??

I am trying hard to figure this out. If anybody has done this before, could you please help me out???

chatpate

I created parent Size and Cart Variants Small, Medium , large as childs to parent Size.

But it doesn't show in a list . It shows separately and Price is listed as a list box instead...what am i doing wrong??

rodfarrell

Thats all I've got.  Spent half a day on this but can't figure it out.  Decided to go back to another ecommerce extension.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

chatpate

jenkinhill, the link doesn't help at all. I have already seen the link. It doesn't say to add a parent.
I am confused.

This is what I did. I created a new custom field title Size, Selected Parent, Cart Attribute Yes.. Now where do I add Small, Medium, Large.

It would be great if you could explain the steps please.

alesbennetti

I have the same problem where I would like to add different frame sizes to my canvases but cannot figure out how to do it.

VM seems to be going in a direction no-one seems to know as it is getting more complicated by the day.

What happened to the straight forward "add attribute" why fix something that is not wrong.

Keep it simple guys! Not everyone is a coder or developer.

Could someone please explain how to add the attributes in VM2 with Joomla 1.7?

rodfarrell

With over 130 reads on this thread and at least two other similar threads this is obviously a problem for a lot of users.  One of the developers really needs to get on the forum here and explain in detail how ordinary website owners (nor programmers) can add a drop down list of attributes such as sizes etc to a product.  I've already had to switch one project to Tienda because we couldn't spend any more time on this but I really want to use Virtuemart if it is capable of having product attributes.

callecula

Hi guys,

I'm new user to VM and get straight on to VM2. First impression was easy, intuitive and powerfull. But in the setup of my shop I'm stucked with custom field and get a drop list for size to some of my products.

I have created a new custom fileds for size.
Type: String
Title: Size
Description: select size
Default: S;M;L;XL
Published: yes
Admin only: No
Is a list: Yes
Hidden: no
Cart attribute: no.

Correct?

Then edit my product and add new custom fields. SHows up in edit mode and drop list working!. Save and refresh my product page AND drop list shows up but only "S" size visable. Not possible to see or choose from other size.

Have I missunderstand this completly, missed something or doing this in wrong order?

Please, all guru's out there help! (Tried to follow other thread, forums etc with out success.)

callecula

OK, finally I was able to understand how to get that "simple" list to work.

I want to share some instruction here for other that might find this tricky. (I belive existing guides is to short and leaves room for small mistake)
So, to create a simple color/size drop list attribute for your selected product. Here is my quick guide:
1) Create a new Custom Filed.
Following setting:
Type: Cart Variant
Default:
Tooltip:
Parent:
Is a list: no
Cart attribute: yes.

2) Save your new custom field.
3) Edit your product and choose Custom Fields tab.
4) Find the drop list with Custom fileds type and select your new Custom Fields "Size".
5) A new row shows your fileds below. Type "Small" in the value text box.
6) Make another selection from you drop list above "Size" to get another row were to enter "Medium".
7) Continue until you got all your options in the list.
8) Save the product and refresh your page, you should now see a drop list with selection for different size.

Thats it!

gws

Many thanks for a clear description of how to do this.

bepos

@callecula : allthough this is a good description. is it also possible to clone the product with the same dropdownlist? or do you have to recreate the dropdownlist for every new product?

coolgauti88

Quote from: callecula on January 05, 2012, 10:24:33 AM
OK, finally I was able to understand how to get that "simple" list to work.

I want to share some instruction here for other that might find this tricky. (I belive existing guides is to short and leaves room for small mistake)
So, to create a simple color/size drop list attribute for your selected product. Here is my quick guide:
1) Create a new Custom Filed.
Following setting:
Type: Cart Variant
Default:
Tooltip:
Parent:
Is a list: no
Cart attribute: yes.

2) Save your new custom field.
3) Edit your product and choose Custom Fields tab.
4) Find the drop list with Custom fileds type and select your new Custom Fields "Size".
5) A new row shows your fileds below. Type "Small" in the value text box.
6) Make another selection from you drop list above "Size" to get another row were to enter "Medium".
7) Continue until you got all your options in the list.
8) Save the product and refresh your page, you should now see a drop list with selection for different size.

Thats it!

This description is fine. But when someone selects a product size say small and orders the product, how will I know what option does the customer has chosen. The size attribute is not listing in the orders page so how can I ship the correct sized product?

gws

@coolgauti88  I followed the instructions and I have all the info on the order that is emailed to me, this would suggest that something else is not quite right in your installation.

coolgauti88

Quote from: gws on January 07, 2012, 17:43:21 PM
@coolgauti88  I followed the instructions and I have all the info on the order that is emailed to me, this would suggest that something else is not quite right in your installation.

Ok thanks. I will again check the configuration files. If possible can you send me a screenshot of your email or forward the email itself.

Thanks gws.