News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

25,000 plus product shop

Started by Kalen, December 22, 2011, 22:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalen

Responsive web design and a rather large shop.  Resize your browser window on chrome, ff, or safari to see the layout change(IE not supported).   Mobile friendly design looks great on mobile browsers.

http://www.seltrol.com

Limonbay

25.000 products are a huge amount. Do you need special requirements to make the website work properly?

I'm with 1000 products by now and I don't know if uploading more could slow the response time of the site.
Piercings y complementos
http://www.limonbay.com
Joomla 2.5.14
Virtuemart 2.0.24

Kalen

To answer your question, no I do not need any special requirements in order for Virtuemart to run as expected with the larger product numbers.  However, to ensure good performance, I have made the following configuration changes:

-Disabled the 'Show all products link in the module configuration'
-Disabled the 'Show the number of products in categories' - this one is not really that important
-Turned off the Joomla SEF Urls (no matter what type of SEF plugins I have tried, sh404, Virtuemart SEF, default router.php, etc.. I have seen my site performance cut anywhere from 50% to 80%.  This is unacceptable.  With google looking increasingly to page load, i don't want to have poor server performance in serving the pages- even though page load is a client side matrix mainly.)
-Submitted a 'comprehensive' sitemap to ensure that all of the products have been located by Google.  I use xMap, it rocks and is dynamic.  You can find it at the Joomla Extension directory.  Then submit the site map directly to the search engines, ie. google.com/webmasters/tools
-Use a automated product uploader for importing new products and managing the price matrix, CSVI Virtuemart is a good one.

We hope to have 100,000 products listed by the end of the new year.

Limonbay

Thank you Kalen, your information is gold for my project at this moment.
I have also disabled SEF for the same reasons.

Thanks again.
Piercings y complementos
http://www.limonbay.com
Joomla 2.5.14
Virtuemart 2.0.24

Kalen

Just got the new FedEX Web Services api working, thanks to lowMimps here: www[dot]lowmips[dot]com/joomla/ (free but donate because he did an awesome job!)

The install was very labor intensive on our site because I have installed several hacks including the 'display all child products in a category' hack as well as the awesome 'product metadata hack' <------ Totally essential for Virtuemart 1.1... (up to, but not including Virtuemart 2) IMO.  However on fresh installs I think that you may find the install less arduous, but I would still take your time.

If you have installed any core hacks, do not simply drop the new FedExV2 files in the directories or you may wipe out your other mods.  However if you want to support the 'new' FedEx Web Services API this bundle is very nice, just be careful and take your time as you install the files!!! 

I will probably be brainstorming about a FexEd/UPS collect account option so that companies can enter their collect accounts and bypass the shipping charges on good accounts.

john1974

Great site, and what an achievement running a store with 25,000 plus products and having it run so smoothly. I'd love to know approximately how much storage and monthly bandwidth your site is currently using (I've been wondering how my sites might cope once they start increasing in product numbers)?