News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Admin from front end?

Started by Hammerhead, December 16, 2011, 21:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerhead

I need to authorize certain users to add/delete/modify items and categories from the front end so they can manage VM without giving full access to the Joomla admin panel.  I can't seem to figure out how to get that to happen.  Can someone help?  Is there a tutorial?

Hammerhead

Nobody can tell me how to assign a store manager?  Is it just not in this current version?

NicholasJohn16

I was wondering this as well.  One of the main features I loved about Virtuemart was the front-end administration.  It meant I could divide up tasks among many people without having to give them back end access.  The option is now gone from the Configuration and I don't see any type of product form in the views.

Has this been removed? If so, is there any plans on bringing it back?

Hammerhead

Quote from: NicholasJohn16 on December 23, 2011, 08:05:54 AM
I was wondering this as well.  One of the main features I loved about Virtuemart was the front-end administration.  It meant I could divide up tasks among many people without having to give them back end access.  The option is now gone from the Configuration and I don't see any type of product form in the views.

Has this been removed? If so, is there any plans on bringing it back?
Agreed.  One would think it should be there, since you can assign a store administrator, but it doesn't seem to change anything in the front end.  Really need to know how to fix this, because it's not safe to trust users with access to the Joomla Admin CP.

komir

Is somebody solved access from fronted  :-[
This is my favorite and most wanted feature in virtuemart 1.9.x  :D
I hope that sometime will be possible in VM2
------------------------------------------------
SEO - Search engine optimization
Croatian Web Design
Croatia Web Hosting

justthat

I notice that the higher-ups are not jumping in to explain this. I don't use extensions that don't have frontend admin. Those of use who develop sites that regular people have to maintain know that you want to keep out of the backend. It is very poor documentation on VirtueMart's part that they did not tell us that they was getting rid of the frontend admin.

Hammerhead

Well, much as I agree that it would be appropriate to know these sorts of things in advance, I think we need to remember the project is still in beta.

I did manage a workaround, however.

At present, VM doesn't fully support the new Joomla 1.7 ACL shema so far as I can see.  If you authorize someone for the back end, VM shows up no matter what their member group.

Here's what I did:
1) Create a new user group off of the 'Public-Administrator' group.  Name it 'Site Admin', or something like that.
2) Go through ALL the components OTHER than VM and DENY permissions (for each component look at the top right for 'options')
3) Assign selected users to that group.

This will get you where you need to be, although it's a bit messy, and can expose other components that are also not fully 1.7 compliant (like Chronoforms) to the user.  Probably a good idea to make regular backups using Akeeba.

earthrat

It seems to me that with the new ACL in 1.7 the VM team would have taken advantage of that and added VM to the ACL? My last complaint on this was a reply from a developer telling me this is a security feature built into VM. I argued that I should be the one dictating what is and is not a security issue where users are concerned and the conversation ended. This will be the death of VM if they do not address this problem ASAP!

Hammerhead

Agreed.  If the VM doesn't provide a way for web developers/integrators to give their customers access to manage their own items, it will present a significant competitive disadvantage.

Simon Reynolds

Hi Guys,

Just discovered a great work around which gets around some of the problems.
I installed JCE Editor and configured the 'Sample front end profile' Now when the client logs in to the front end, they can edit all existing products one at a time by selecting 'Product Details' from the shopping page. They then get a copy of the backend panel. Just for editing but at least it is a quick way of changing prices etc.

Still need full front end access for creating new products, changing delivery costs etc. but it is a start.
Maybe someone out there can create a new front end profile to do the rest?
Beyond me I'm afraid :-)
Simon

webzight

I would like to know where this feature is also, as I told my client she would be able to do so without having to access the back-end :-\
May the Cloud be with you :)

John2400

Admin from the front end :

* go into Joomla - go to main menu add a new link and that will appear like a normal menu link on the front page _ make the link a URL and paste the Virtuemart admin URL link there.

* make sure the link is - set to open in same window and is only visible to registered user.

* for shops that make the client register or allow joomla users to register this will not work as it will create an  access. ( lots of shops do not have this option)

* for everyone else you will be able to login from the front>> admin link appears and then they click on it and you are there. ( at the Virtuemart shop ) not viewing Joomla menus.

* Then it depends on the level of access you have given your client to fool around in joomla --
For most they will not play with it.

* But important -- they must log out when finished and that means returning to home in most cases and clicking on the small icon at the bottom of the page.

I might add that this topic has been discussed many times in previous posts- use search for admin access to see similar topics - At present there is no simiar access like VM1 so we just wor around this and trust your client. I made sure I taught my clients to back up often before they play.

ycekelvin

Hi Hammerhead,

After using ur method, i successfully create permission for store admin and he can get into vm only.

But there have another issue that is once customer purchase order and made payment, there are no orders detail can be view by store admin. Only administrator can view the orders record. There will be another issue since they need online store admin to manage the stock and sales record.

Do not know is it you notice about this issue?

Thank you
Kelvin