News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Shipping depending on Manufacturer

Started by seagul, December 16, 2011, 10:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seagul

Hi there,

I hope I am in the right subforum with my question.
I am using J1.7 und VM2.0

I have two manufacturers (in two different countries) setup in my shop. The shipping depends on the manufacturer (and shopper country and product weight).
How can I setup the right calculation?
I am using standard "VM - Shipper, By weight, ZIP and countries"
Can I use the shopper group on the product and on the shipping method? There should be a link, right?

Thanks for any hints.
Seagul

ashp

HI there,

wondering if you ever managed to sort this out?
I am trying to do the same thing.

Just so you know I did manage to set this up in VM1, by linking the SKU to the Shipper/Shipping Rate fields, however I dont think these fields exist in VM2.

I would suggest that this is quite a common feature required by shop owners that may not nessecerily stock certain items and get them shipped directly from the manufactruer.

I would be willing to contribute towards the development of this module/plugin, however my PHP skills are limited.

Please get in touch if there is any other interest in this out there,

cheers

ash

seagul

Hi, I did get it sort out in a different way.

You can use the new "Tax & calculation rules".
I setup different categories for the the manufacturers with different weight. i.e. (Manufacturer = MF)
MF1 - 1kg
MF1 - 2kg
MF1 - 5kg
MF1 - 10kg
MF2 - 1kg
MF2 - 2kg
You can select multiple categories for the products.
Then I did the setup for the calculations rules
--> Price Modifier before Tax
--> +
--> 4 Euro
--> Product Category: MF2 - 2kg
--> Select Country/countries
--> Visible for Shopper: Yes

Then the Calculation rule is automatically selected for the countries.
You then have to adjust the Cart to show "shipment" instead of "discount": use language overrides and template overrides.
For me it worked perfect and I did not have to make a new plugin or hack the core :).

ashp

Sounds intersting.

I did have a look at tax & calculation rules the other day.

I'll have a look and let you know how I get on.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion  :D

ashp

HI there,

I can see that this is a workaround for the problem, but it is not ideal as there are 2 problems with the above method:-

1) This can only be applied to product categories, so if you have products from different manufacturers in different categories this is not going to work

2) This includes the shipping price in the procut price and therefore shows 0 for shipping cost. Again it works, but is not ideal if you want to show how cheap your product is without shipping etc

If anyone is aware of a better workaround it would be great to hear from you.

thanks

seagul

Quote from: ashp on February 12, 2012, 20:20:30 PM
1) This can only be applied to product categories, so if you have products from different manufacturers in different categories this is not going to work

For this problem you could add categories for your manufacturers. Every product can have more than one category. So, it would have the real product category and the (hidden) category for the manufacturer. Should work for this.

Quote from: ashp on February 12, 2012, 20:20:30 PM
2) This includes the shipping price in the procut price and therefore shows 0 for shipping cost. Again it works, but is not ideal if you want to show how cheap your product is without shipping etc

You can show the price without shipping in the single lines. But it is true that for the shipping for the whole cart you would have 0.