Author Topic: Booster Pack like items in virtuemart, possible?  (Read 448 times)

tribalxgecko

• Beginner
Booster Pack like items in virtuemart, possible?
« on: December 15, 2011, 20:41:55 pm »
I am going to make this as much to the point as I can. Can virtuemart handle a booster pack type of item? If your not sure what a booster pack is, it is basically like a pack of sports cards. A customer would by a booster pack and once they check out the pack is added to their profile. From there they could 'open' the pack and the random assortment of cards would be added to their profile for others to see. Is something like this possible, and if so, would it require a ton of work / coding / hacks? None of which I am very comfortable with, but don't mind tinkering with if need be.

As for the background info here, if you care or it helps to give you an idea what I am trying to do...I run a small hobbyshop in my local community and we have an in-house game that a group of people have been designing. Customers use store 'points' which they get for purchase to buy booster packs for this game. Currently we use an excel sheet to keep track of everything. When a customer buys a booster pack, we use it to randomly generate the cards and then we add them to their profile tab. But this is becoming extremely cumbersome and time consuming, as you can imagine. We have also had requests to put this feature online for customers who have moved out of town, or wish to play at home. They also want the option to buy booster packs online.

I am familiar with Joomla and Virtuemart and have no problems setting them up, but have no idea if virtuemart could do something like this. Also I would need to integrate some sort of community profile setup, maybe Community Builder? Does VM and CB play nice together? Could something like this be done? If so, could CB show a persons 'inventory' of cards and boosterpacks that they own?

I have a feeling I am in way over my head, but wanted to at least get an idea of what this sort of feature would take.