Custom field with no tax

Started by tomshirvo, December 11, 2011, 23:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomshirvo

Does the system allow you to have no tax on the custom field

atb

Quote from: tomshirvo on December 11, 2011, 23:13:43 PM
Does the system allow you to have no tax on the custom field
Hi, I am still trying to get fully familiar with VM, however I also require "no tax", so here are my current observations.

For a specific product the tax aspect can be specified by the "Pricing rules overrides" (near to top of the "Product" page), rather than expecting to use "Custom Fields".
Within "Pricing rules overrides" it is possible to select "Apply no rule".  Conversely, I reckon an alternative,,possibly a more future-proof approach, is to create a "Not Registered" rule within the "Products | Taxes & Calculation Rules" - it being set to 0% rate.  For a small trader in the UK, below a certain turnover, it is not required to register for VAT (Sales Tax),  but it would be required if sales later increase.  This "Not Registered" Tax rule can then be selected in the "Product | Pricing rules overrides".
Note: Displayed "Tax" items/aspects can be readily hidden in the displayed Products and Cart, to give a cleaner display.  It may also be appropriate to ensure a comment is added to the Shop info to point out that items/services are not subject to VAT as the Seller is Not Registered.  Any items purchased for resale, and which include VAT, are entered as the gross price and no VAT is to be handled.

I hope this relates to your question, but if any one reckons my suggestions are incorrect/inappropriate then please comment further.

Studio 42

Hi,

The customfields use Product Taxes Rules, because the "customfields" price is added to the product before calculation rules.

You can set rules for user groups to apply no tax to a product but it's always same rules for base price and customfield prices