Main Menu

USPSv5 STRANGE RESULTS J 1.5.18 VM 1.1.4

Started by ezexpela, December 18, 2011, 21:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezexpela

Hi,

Im running a site with Joomla 1.5.18  &  Using VirtueMart 1.1.4

1) I received this site, and the some of the code was heavily modified,
so Im not sure about doing any UPGRADES as im afraid of having unknown results, and break some parts of the site.

2) We have several types of Items, very weird and SPECIAL sizes, and we ship domestic in US, and International.
the STANDARD USPS module, never worked very good, and is common for us to have problems with some customers, as the shipping price calculated by the modules IS VERY FAR FROM THE REAL SHIPPING PRICE SOMETIMES.

3) ANYWAY, we decided to upgrade to a USPSv5  module which supports the v4 API. USPS .
http://www.lowmips.com/joomla/free-software/category/6-uspsv5     .
as is specified on the page, I have to get the USPSv5.2011-02-09-BASIC  as is the one that says will SUPPORT OLDER VERSION DE JOOMLA AND VIRTUEMART . 

4) FIRST WARNING :  even that the file is correct, in the readme.txt  IT SAYS:
- USPS Shipping module for VirtueMart 1.1.7.
- Works with VirtueMart version 1.1.7
- Tested on Joomla 1.5.22 with VirtueMart 1.1.7

NO REFERENCE TO THE OLDER VERSIONS.  WILL WORK on OLDER VERSIONS ?

5) a)  CHOOSED THIS SHIPPING METHOD IN SETTINGS
    b)  SETUP THIS SPECIFIC SHIPPING METHOD IN STORE SECTION

ANOTHER WARNING :  in the other USPS modules, we can setup USER AND PASSOWRD.
     in this module ONLY USER , where we should put this password? , why is not there? is not need it anymore by USPS to make this queryes?

6) Tried to TEST a CHECKOUT, system only shows  A BIG LIST OF SHIPPING METHODS, with a basic price,
ignorign size or weight .  I assume there is an error , and the module has this
standard exit  , EVEN AFTER I DISABLED THIS OPTION OF SHOWING THIS IN THE BACKEND, AND ASKED TO SHOW THE ERRORS
TO THE USER .

any idea, which path I should take?    take the risks, backups, etc, and try to upgrade ? with all the unexpected consequences?

or any idea why the USPS module is not working on my case?

cheers
Ezequiel

ezexpela

Also I have another question :

I read that there is limitation:
Only "regular" size packages are supported in this version.
The API requires that anything other
than "regular" have package dimensions declared, which is NOT supported in this version of the module.

If undertsand correclty means, that this plugin doesn't read/support  dimensions ?   so we should assume that only looks at the
weight of the item ?  and not 'volume' dimensions?

if this is correct, how everyone is fixing this problem ?  this is a limitation on USPS module?  or this implementation for virtuemart ?

cheers
Ezequiel

lowmips

Hi.
First of all, always post your USPSv5 questions in the USPSv5 thread please.  I receive notifications there if new posts are made.

4) The VirtueMart version listed in that file is irrelevant.  It has been tested by other users on VM versions from 1.1.2 all the way to 1.1.9.

5) USPS API version 4 does not require a password.

6) The basic version passes the cart weight, source, and destination to the API.  It does NOT consider dimensions.  The "advanced" version of the module can consider dimensions.  Disclaimer: The API is not very "smart", so any service you choose to offer should work for any and all products on your site.

QuoteI assume there is an error , and the module has this
standard exit  , EVEN AFTER I DISABLED THIS OPTION OF SHOWING THIS IN THE BACKEND

I do not know what you mean by this.  Please explain further.

Reggie
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)