News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Virtual products, not downloadable...?

Started by Sunburst WebConsult, December 09, 2011, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunburst WebConsult

Hi :-)

Does anyone know how to extend VM2 so I can use virtual products that are not downloadable? I only sell online services.

Kind regards,
Jens

msprod

hello I try also this extension if it exists. thank you all.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

tessak22

What is going on with VM 2.0. No shipping required and a download area was a core feature of the previous VM versions and now its a huge ordeal to setup apparently. EVerything is There is NO payment methods anymore except PayPal, no shipping methods either like UPS or whatever else. The new VM is a joke and there is no manual for it.

Stephen Roberts

The core of VM2 is built really well. The dev team is leaving the plugins up to the community to build since they've focused all of their time on the core. The downloads will be implemented as a plugin just like payment and shipping plugins. VM2 is brand new and you can't expect every plugin to already exist. It'll take time for the community to build those out.
Sell downloadable (virtual) products in VirtueMart 2 and deliver downloads via local server, Amazon S3, and more! http://www.digitollsoftware.com

swatkins

Quote from: Stephen Roberts on January 02, 2012, 16:58:59 PM
The core of VM2 is built really well. The dev team is leaving the plugins up to the community to build since they've focused all of their time on the core. The downloads will be implemented as a plugin just like payment and shipping plugins. VM2 is brand new and you can't expect every plugin to already exist. It'll take time for the community to build those out.

No disrespect to the development team, I do appreciate their hard work.... But...

VM2  is not ready for use.. 

The "core" might be really well built but without "Useful" UPS, FedEx, USPS and other mainstream payment methods that's all it is, a core. 
Without these components I can't deploy this shopping cart on any professional website.  I can't keep telling my customers that a new version of the software is almost ready and then string them along because I really have no idea when, or even IF VM2  can communicate with shipping servers or take credit cards... 

I have been using VM for years... I have been doing my part to support the effort by buying products from VM coders because I don't have the time to learn how to make plug ins myself...   Problem is there is no information on any shipping or payment plug ins and no way to know when or even IF someone will create them. 

I have 4 domains waiting on shopping carts now... I have been stringing them along telling them "VM2 is nearly ready and we should wait"  Well the waiting is over without information on when the "complete shopping cart" will be ready for use..

Stephen Roberts

I understand your frustration, but you MUST release the "core" before anyone can even build plugins. Having plugins developed by a community just takes time. The more obscure the payment or shipping method, the longer it'll take to find someone interested in developing.

I wasn't around when VM1 was released, but I imagine there weren't many payment/shipping methods available on the first day either.

Are you interested in paying someone to develop the plugins you need? If you don't develop yourself and you're not willing to pay, there's no telling how long it'll take someone to decide they need to build your plugins. I've built a shipping and payment plugin myself for the projects I'm working on.
Sell downloadable (virtual) products in VirtueMart 2 and deliver downloads via local server, Amazon S3, and more! http://www.digitollsoftware.com

Stephen Roberts

Btw, I'm working on a download plugin (2 plugins actually) to handle downloadable products. I should have a working version late next week.

I know the dev team is working on the download functionality as well (at least I hope they are!), but I have a deadline coming up and I've got to have downloads in my project.

Sunburst WebConsult

Hi Stephen :-) sounds so great :-) when you have made the plugin will you share it with community? :-) I really need it for virtual products (services, not downloads)

Stephen Roberts

Can you explain how your services work? You say that you don't sell downloads, but you sell services...how does that work from a customer's perspective? What's stopping you from setting that up with a standard installation of VM2?

PRO

Quote from: Stephen Roberts on January 03, 2012, 16:02:47 PM
Can you explain how your services work? You say that you don't sell downloads, but you sell services...how does that work from a customer's perspective? What's stopping you from setting that up with a standard installation of VM2?

^^^^^

OP: sounds like you just need to organize and configure standard VM  well.

NawtyAtNight

Quote from: Stephen Roberts on January 03, 2012, 07:21:01 AM
Btw, I'm working on a download plugin (2 plugins actually) to handle downloadable products. I should have a working version late next week.

I know the dev team is working on the download functionality as well (at least I hope they are!), but I have a deadline coming up and I've got to have downloads in my project.

Is that second plug in your working on a UPS plugin that takes real time shipping pricing? Just asking..... ;D

Stephen Roberts

I've had a few people ask about that, and unfortunately, no. If no one has created a UPS plugin in the next few weeks, I'll try to get around to it, but I have way too many things going on right now.

Btw, I have a working proof-of-concept for the download system. I should have a beta ready in the next few days.

Stephen Roberts

I have a working beta of the download system. Anyone interested in testing and helping out?

jawtkins

Hi; I'd be interested in testing this out. How can I get the file?

Thanks!

fusillo