News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

New pre subrelase N, ... final RC3

Started by Milbo, December 01, 2011, 14:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cas

Just upgraded from RC3-M to the RC3 final release, but now I cannot get to the Configuration page using Firefox 8.0.1.  I can get there using IE 8. 
Also, why is the actual product cost still showing in the cart?  We cannot show our cost to customers.

jjk

@cas
Firefox 8 appears to be pretty buggy - therefore I'm still using FF7.
QuoteAlso, why is the actual product cost still showing in the cart?
I did write a few lines as a reply to the five points in your previous post a few hours ago, but somehow that post got lost - maybe a server hickup last night?

Something you can check first if you are using calculation rules are the expiry dates of your rules. See here: Also, why is the actual product cost still showing in the cart?
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

cas

Hi jjk,

I was using the same version of Firefox with RC3-M yesterday and I could get to the Configuration page just fine.  The only change is the new RC3 release. 

Attached is a screenshot of my calculation rules.  Do you see anything wrong?   But more importantly, the product base cost should never be displaying in the cart.  This is our actual cost.

It would be good to see your reply to my 5 items.

Thanks,
Chuck

[attachment cleanup by admin]

cas

Check out my cart screenshot so you can see the problems I noted earlier:

1) The base cost for this product is $1000, but why is it showing this base cost in the cart?  It's adding tax to this cost, so that's why it shows as $1,077.50.  But it should not show my cost at all.
2) Tax is being calculated when no user is logged in?  How does it know what tax rule to apply?  It should only add tax when a user is logged in and is from that state.
3) The tax should not be added to the price in the cart Price column.  The Price column should just be the product price without tax.
4) The cart Discount column is showing a value, but I don't even have a discount rule published.  This Discount column in this case should be $0.  It's just taking the base cost minus the final price.  This is not the discount value.

Milbo

When you want to use the costprice as your real costprice, then you need to add a Margin, not the price multiplier
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Can you explain in detail how to do this?   I am using the product field called Cost Price as my real cost, and then I setup a price multiplier (300%) to calculate the Final price.  In the product admin it works fine.  It shows the Cost Price of $1000 and the Final Price shows $4000.  But on the website why is the product Cost Price field showing in the cart?  It should just show the Final price in the cart.  Please remove the Cost Price from the cart. 

Also, what about my points 2, 3 & 4 ?

jjk

@cas
I'll send a reply to your other points soon, but have to do a few other things first within the next two hours.

jjk

@cas,

ok - I'll try to replicate my lost reply from yesterday and refer to the 5 points in your first post concerning this.

1. The strikethrough price is the base price with tax. The total price is your cost price x your price multiplier x tax. Instead of selecting DBTax (Discount Before Tax) as a price multiplier when you set up the calculation rule, I would recommend to use the profit margin type (already mentioned by Milbo). This won't show up in your cart.
At present any calculated amount defined as DBTax or DATax will be displayed as a discount amount in the cart. In your case the $3232.50 is the calculated DBTax (Muliplier 300) +tax.

In my opinion it's not a bug, but a design flaw of DATax and DBTax which still has to be solved somehow to make it usable in practice.
This is why I suggested this a few days ago: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=94796.msg310964#msg310964

2. You are logged in, so it probably takes your (administrator's) address for calculating the tax.

3. This is illegal in most countries of the world. (Concerning price labels on products, US and CAN are approximately 40 years behind consumer friendly legislation :-) In the vast majority of countries price labels have to show the final price including all taxes and duties.
However, you should be able to configure the price display in the shop configuration - Pricing to match the US practice of net prices.
(I didn't check if the cart displays such settings correctly)

4. see 1.

5. I can confirm that. My test site currently looses test orders when I log out. (I didn't update to include last nights bug fixes yet)

cas

Hi jjk,

Thanks for your help! 

For #1 - I'm getting it to work now by using the pmargin.  I didn't know that pmargin stood for profit margin and that it should be used in this situation.  It will be great someday when the VM2 manual comes out to explain these details.  So thanks in the meantime for helping us!   

For #2 - I am not logged in.  No one is logged it.  Yet it is taking the one tax rule I setup for California and applying it when no one is logged in.  It should only do this when someone from California is logged in.  Otherwise, when on one is logged in, do not apply any tax rules.   

for #3 - The only option in the admin for the cart is to show a Tax column, but there is no way to stop it from adding tax in the Price column.  There are lots of admin settings for the product details page, but only that one option for the cart.  We need this added option in the admin for the cart to choose if the Price column should add tax or not. 

I am still not able to get to the admin Configuration page using Firefox 8.0.1.  I have to use IE 8 to change the Configurations.  This did not happen with any previous version of VM, including RC3-M.  I am using the same version of Firefox that I did for RC3-M.   Hopefully this can be fixed.

Thanks,
Chuck

jjk

Quote from: cas on December 16, 2011, 21:30:45 PM
for #3 - The only option in the admin for the cart is to show a Tax column, but there is no way to stop it from adding tax in the Price column.  There are lots of admin settings for the product details page, but only that one option for the cart.  We need this added option in the admin for the cart to choose if the Price column should add tax or not.

If you select 'calculation kind' (BTW - do american natives understand what the german programmer means with this term? :-) "Tax per Bill" instead of "Tax per Product" it should get you closer.
Have a nice weekend

cas

Hi jjk,

Now we're getting somewhere!  I changed the Calculation Kind to 'Tax Per Bill' and it looks much better.  And no I didn't understand what 'Calculation Kind' meant, but maybe it's just me.  :-)   How does 'Calculation Method' sound?   

The only problem now is that the Tax is not showing in the Total column.   See the attached screenshot.  You can see it is to the right of the Total column all by itself.

Plus, when nobody is logged in, it should not show tax anywhere.  Only add tax when a user is logged in and the system can determine if that user is from a state where tax should be added.   The reason this is so important is because most web shoppers are looking for the lowest price on the web.  So if my site has the tax added into the price even when that shopper is not logged in, and my competitor's website does not have the tax added in, my price will be higher and I will lose the sale.  This is critical to fix before going live. 

Also, see the screenshot... when I'm not logged in, the Shipping & Payment items now show 'No shipment selected' and 'No payment selected'.  In the RC3-M version this worked properly whether I was logged in or not, but now it only automatically picks the one shipping & one payment method when I am logged in.   Shouldn't it work the way it did in RC3-M.

Finally, a minor cosmetic problem... when adding an item to the cart, the notification popup is missing the "rt" from Cart.  It gets covered over by the X.   I opened a separate ticket on this before, but it's still not fixed, so hopefully this can get resolved soon. 

Thanks for your help!  We're getting closer!  :-)
Chuck

cas

A cosmetic problem with the website page navigation.  See the attached screenshot.  It needs to have spaces between the items "StartPrev12NextEnd" to make it readable. 

cas

On the Shop page that displays all the products, when I use the 'Sort By' drop down, it has a problem when I use the Sort By 'Product Name'.  The default sort is Product Name, so it starts out by displaying all products by Product Name, but then when I Sort By another field such as Price it works fine, but then when I try to come back to Sort By Product Name, it only displays the Categories but no products.  I need to click on the menu item Shop to get back to the products.   Check it out here:  https://www.hairextensionsfair.com/shop

Also, when I Sort By Manufacturer, the language element 'Manufacturer' is not displayed properly.  See the attached screenshot.

Milbo

Quote from: cas on December 17, 2011, 03:05:15 AM
And no I didn't understand what 'Calculation Kind' meant, but maybe it's just me.  :-)   How does 'Calculation Method' sound?   

Maybe method is better, I dont know. We are open for better expressions and as jjk said... I wrote this descriptions and I am not a native speaker.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Hi Milbo,

You do great for not being a native English speaker!  Plus you would laugh if you heard me trying to speak any foreign languages! :-)   

As far as what to call it, I like Calculation Method, but even more important for me is that now I understand how it works.  And it's working well.  Thanks!

Chuck