News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

New pre subrelase N, ... final RC3

Started by Milbo, December 01, 2011, 14:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seagul

Hi,

I just updated to RC3. And I am setting up a multilingual site. So far, working fine!

But I have one category where the category name is the same in all three languages but with different category descriptions.  I could add the different language descriptions and names from empty values. However, now I can not go back and change the values. It shows only the standard language values but with the different language flags. It seems this is because it does not check, whether the category name is different or not.

English flag
english name
english description

german flag
english name
english description

Bye,
Seagul

seagul

ah, another bug:
When I fill in a new language field to a product i.e. name or description and click on "Save", then I come back to the default language but I cannot select another language again. If I click on "Save & Close" I get an empty error message (red exclamation mark). However, in both cases the values are saved.

seagul

And in my second and third language, the manufacturers name is not shown on the product detail page. It is shown in the default language.

Edit:
And for Shipment and Payment multilingual support:
I have setup standard Shipment and one Payment method which are automatically selected in my default language. Actually I don't need a translation for these methods. Then the Shipment and Payment methods are not automatically selected in the shopping cart. I have to go and save my payment method in each language with a click on "save". Then it is automatically selected. With shipment the same, however I have about 20 different shipment methods, so I don't want to go and click each language for each shipping code.
So it would be nice, that even if there is no translation with shippment or payment it would be automatically added.

Studio 42

Hi,
We do not provide for now a falldown method for translation and will be  released next  after final.
The result on changing language is a will, to let the last filled language with a value, if you don't want to translate it or have no time then the displayed entry are saved on the language you have choose in the select list.
If we don't use it so, then you have nothing and the product or category display it with empty value.
simply rewrite over, to have the correct translation, that's all.

Milbo

Even better Electrocity, when I understood the joomfish guys right, they write a component to handle the language problems. Our system is as already explained before, nasty. We just rely that people using multivendor provide the languages. A fallback is very timeconsuming and decreasing performance. Maybe we find a direct solution.
ATM we think about something like: Storing overwrites all non filled language tables with the default language. But this can lead to confusion, so atm we let it like it is. No one said multilanguage will be easy.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Per your request for us to help test VM2, can you give me an update status on the following 14 items I reported earlier?

1) When cloning a product with Custom fields, the Custom Fields are not cloned into the new product.  See Topic 93804

2) When nobody is logged in, it should not show tax anywhere on website. Only show tax when a user is logged in and VM can determine if that user is from a state where tax should be added.  See topic 92144

3) The website page navigation needs to have spaces between the items "StartPrev12NextEnd" to make it readable. See topic 94183

4) When adding an item to the cart, the notification popup is missing the "rt" from 'Show Cart'. It gets covered over by the X.  Move "Show Cart" to the left to avoid the X. See topic 93118

5) The 'Sort By' drop down has a problem when coming back to the default sort.  See topic 94183

6) The Sort By 'Manufacturer' language string is not being resolved.  See topic 94183

7) Cart does not save products when user logs off.  See topic 92779

8 ) The print icon on product page opens a new window, but there is no Print button on the new page to actually print the page. See topic 93910

9) The PDF icon on product page gets a 500 Internal Server Error. See topic 91149

10) The 'Recommend to a Friend' icon on the product page doesn't resolve the Language strings: COM_VIRTUEMART_PRODUCT_RECOMMEND, COM_VIRTUEMART_SUBMIT, COM_VIRTUEMART_COUNT. It does send the email, but then it gave the message "invalid_address". 

11) Use the Product Details view that Banguet designed as the default view to solve all the serious problems the current product view has when using multiple product images, Custom Field images, and Related Products. The new file is attached in topic 92777

12) Add an admin option to eliminate having to 'Confirm Order' twice during check out.  See topic 92103

13) The Joomla account user profile address fields should be also added into the VirtueMart user address fields so the user doesn't have to enter their address twice. See topic 93948

14) Order of Custom fields on website do not match the order in admin. See topic 90362

Milbo

Quote from: cas on December 18, 2011, 22:57:04 PM
2) When nobody is logged in, it should not show tax anywhere on website. Only show tax when a user is logged in and VM can determine if that user is from a state where tax should be added.  See topic 92144
You can do that, use the anonymous shoppergroup

3) The website page navigation needs to have spaces between the items "StartPrev12NextEnd" to make it readable. See topic 94183
Shows in my template correct. This is a template issue.

4) When adding an item to the cart, the notification popup is missing the "rt" from 'Show Cart'. It gets covered over by the X.  Move "Show Cart" to the left to avoid the X. See topic 93118
Same as above, I dont have this problem. imho also related to your template.

6) The Sort By 'Manufacturer' language string is not being resolved.  See topic 94183
It is, but sometimes it is losing translation and appears, we did not find this bug yet.

The user must use the joomla function "recognise me"

8 ) The print icon on product page opens a new window, but there is no Print button on the new page to actually print the page. See topic 93910
It is meant to use the browser itself, same with the pdf. This was different in the early days, now all browsers can generate pdfs and prints.

9) The PDF icon on product page gets a 500 Internal Server Error. See topic 91149
This is not supported anylonger in j1.7 and the reason here is also that pdfs are now easily generated by the browsers.

11) Use the Product Details view that Banguet designed as the default view to solve all the serious problems the current product view has when using multiple product images, Custom Field images, and Related Products. The new file is attached in topic 92777
He has svn access, he can upload it. When he did not, he will have some reason.

12) Add an admin option to eliminate having to 'Confirm Order' twice during check out.  See topic 92103
Maybe later. We cannot add every single feature. This is a core. There are already description how to deactivate it.

13) The Joomla account user profile address fields should be also added into the VirtueMart user address fields so the user doesn't have to enter their address twice. See topic 93948
This does not really work. Use Community builder for things like this.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

dido76bg

Hi! I still have problem with admin tabs in Internet explorer. Mozilla works wellq but I cannot say to my clients to use Mozilla instead IE. Please help with that.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

cas

Quote from: Milbo on December 19, 2011, 02:51:41 AM
You can do that, use the anonymous shoppergroup
Why should we all have to setup anonymous shoppergroup?  Why not fix it by just checking if a user is logged in, and if not, then set tax to 0.   In fact, other users have documented that when they have multiple tax rates setup, that it adds the taxes together for a huge tax amount.   We sure hope it can get fixed right so we all don't have to use a workaround.

Same as above, I dont have this problem. imho also related to your template.
I checked using Beez template and you're right that it's not as bad as my template, but the X still partly covers the "rt".  It's also documented in topic 92367 that other users are having the same problem.  Seems to makes sense to just move it to the left a few pixels to make sure no templates have this problem.  You can also fix it by going into the VM facebox.css and changing #facebox .content padding from 10px to 20px.

As documented by me in topic 92779, and confirmed by JJK in this topic 94183 in reply #142, it does not save the cart contents when the user logs out even when the user checks the box "Remember Me".

It is meant to use the browser itself, same with the pdf. This was different in the early days, now all browsers can generate pdfs and prints.
Are you saying the admin options to show Print & PDF buttons on the product details page should be removed from the admin because they are not needed anymore?  And in the meantime we should uncheck these two options?

He has svn access, he can upload it. When he did not, he will have some reason.
Banquet, can you help here by adding it to the svn?  The new default file and the css changes you made are attached in topic 92777 at reply #34.  I even updated it to match the latest RC3 default file.  If you remember, the current default view has all the images in a single vertical line for extra product images, custom field images, and even related products. which is simply not usable as is.  Thanks in advance for making this happen. 

Maybe later. We cannot add every single feature. This is a core. There are already description how to deactivate it.
Okay, like others I am already using the hack to fix it, but we all hoped we didn't have to use a hack when VM goes production.  Please, at least put this on the list to be worked on when time allows.  We hate using hacks as much as you hate us using hacks. :)

Help me understand when VM is creating the VM Shopper record from the Joomla user profile record by getting the UserName, DisplayName, & Email, that VM cannot just get the address fields from the new Joomla 1.7 user plugin at the same time?   To our customers who have to enter their address twice, it looks like the shop is not integrated with the rest of the website.   I understand if you don't have time to add this functionality now, but I didn't expect to hear that it doesn't work.   As far as using Community Builder, now that Joomla 1.7 has the user profile plugin with the address info, I don't need the extra overhead of maintaining additional extensions to just include the customer address.  I hope this can be reexamined again when time permits.  Thanks.

Milbo

Quote from: cas on December 19, 2011, 07:48:20 AM
Why should we all have to setup anonymous shoppergroup?  Why not fix it by just checking if a user is logged in, and if not, then set tax to 0.   In fact, other users have documented that when they have multiple tax rates setup, that it adds the taxes together for a huge tax amount.   We sure hope it can get fixed right so we all don't have to use a workaround.
First an anonymous shoppergroup is now always created and must exist. There are a lot of shoppergroup depended features which were not working with anonymous users before. Now it does!

As documented by me in topic 92779, and confirmed by JJK in this topic 94183 in reply #142, it does not save the cart contents when the user logs out even when the user checks the box "Remember Me".
oha, okey, I didnt know that.

Okay, like others I am already using the hack to fix it, but we all hoped we didn't have to use a hack when VM goes production.  Please, at least put this on the list to be worked on when time allows.  We hate using hacks as much as you hate us using hacks. :)
I am not sure if the dirty hack works correctly. This is the reason I didnt add it to the core.

Help me understand when VM is creating the VM Shopper record from the Joomla user profile record by getting the UserName, DisplayName, & Email, that VM cannot just get the address fields from the new Joomla 1.7 user plugin at the same time?   To our customers who have to enter their address twice, it looks like the shop is not integrated with the rest of the website.   I understand if you don't have time to add this functionality now, but I didn't expect to hear that it doesn't work.   As far as using Community Builder, now that Joomla 1.7 has the user profile plugin with the address info, I don't need the extra overhead of maintaining additional extensions to just include the customer address.  I hope this can be reexamined again when time permits.  Thanks.

Because it does not exist in j1.5? It is not the same in every joomla? The feature contacts of j1.5 needs to be connected manually to users. and so on. So we decided to write our own address handling. When you use virtuemart, dont use the joomla ones. quite easy. When you want an integrated solution ask the profis for that for exampel community builder.

cas

Quote from: Milbo on December 19, 2011, 12:36:06 PM
First an anonymous shoppergroup is now always created and must exist. There are a lot of shoppergroup depended features which were not working with anonymous users before. Now it does!
Yes, I see in the admin I have an anonymous and default shoppergroup, so how does this stop tax from being displayed in the cart for shoppers who are not logged in when there is no option to turn off tax in the cart in the shoppergroup admin?  The options are all for the product page only.   I understand the benefits of shoppergroups and this is a wonderful feature when needed, but why do I want the extra work to maintain shoppergroups to override my default admin settings to fix a problem that is fundamental to the way tax should be calculated?  Maybe I am missing something, but in order to calculate tax, don't you need to see if the logged-in user matches any of the criteria defined by the tax rules, such as the user's location?  So when there is no user logged in to find any matching tax rules, shouldn't tax be to set to 0?  Currently when no user is logged in, VM is adding all the tax rules together, resulting in a very large tax amount, which causes shoppers to never return to the website.  Why not correct the problem by setting tax to 0 when VM cannot find a tax rule to apply to a user who is not logged in?  I'm trying my best to help make a better product for all, so I hope I'm being constructive and not coming across in a negative way.   

I am not sure if the dirty hack works correctly. This is the reason I didnt add it to the core.
The hack is in cart.php on line 250:  public function setDataValidation($valid=false)    We simply changed false to true.   To implement correctly, it would require this true/false value to be a variable that can be set in the admin. 

Because it does not exist in j1.5? It is not the same in every joomla? The feature contacts of j1.5 needs to be connected manually to users. and so on. So we decided to write our own address handling. When you use virtuemart, dont use the joomla ones. quite easy. When you want an integrated solution ask the profis for that for exampel community builder.
Do you need to make VM2 work in Joomla 1.5 also?  If so, then I understand the challenge, but if VM2 is only for Joomla 1.7, then it would be helpful to website developers and our customers for VM to get the address when it's getting the other user profile fields.  But that's IMHO.  Thanks for considering this enhancement. 

Milbo

Quite easy, you make the tax rules for all shoppergroups except the anonymous one. and done. Also please consider that in other countries the tax is always the same. For exampel when I sell within germany and deliver only within germany, I dont need to think about things like that.

as I already mentioned, I know the "fix" but I am not confident with it. The reason we did not add it (is 10 minutes todo it). But believe me, I already thought more then an hour about it. There are a lot of things to consider, which are for people like you maybe not important. It depends from country to country, and case to case.

and of course virtuemart 2 was developed for joomla 1.5 and adjusted to j1.7. It will stay for a long time compatible to both, you can bet on it.

cas

Yes, it was very easy, and it works. Thanks!   I still think it wouldn't hurt to have the tax default to zero when no one is logged in, to help all the other folks who don't understand how shoppergroups work, but that's just my opinion.  Thanks again. 

cas

Quote from: cas on December 16, 2011, 21:30:45 PM
I am still not able to get to the admin Configuration page using Firefox 8.0.1.  I have to use IE 8 to change the Configurations.  This did not happen with any previous version of VM, including RC3-M.  I am using the same version of Firefox that I did for RC3-M. 

Update: I'm using VM2.0.0 on 2 websites configured identically as far as I know, but one of the sites I cannot get to the Configuration page using Firefox 8.0.1, it only works with IE 8, but the other website I can get to the Configuration page with Firefox.  What possibly could be wrong? 

jjk

I don't know, but a german computer magazine wrote today that the Firefox guys will release FF9 tomorrow. Perhaps that will solve your problem.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations