News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

How to make the Joomla account address go into VirtueMart account address

Started by cas, November 27, 2011, 00:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cas

Is there a way to have the Joomla account address info go into the VirtueMart account address automatically?  Currently the user has to enter the same address info twice. 

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Not the contact info, but the user profile info.  When a user registers on my site using the Joomla registration page, I know VM adds a user into the VM userinfos table, but it does not add the Joomla user profile address info, so when the user goes to buy something in VM, they need to reenter their address info again in VM.   It would be better to have VM add all the Joomla user profile info into the VM userinfos table when the user first registers.             

Milbo

Which joomla user profile then? It wont happen, we thought about to use it long time ago, but there are some problems with it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

To answer your question about "Which Joomla user profile?"...  Use the profile of the user who is registering at that time.  Since VM currently adds their basic user info into VM when a user registers, just add their address info at the same time.  This way a user doesn't have to add their address twice.   I'm not sure what the problem could be with adding the address data at the same time VM is adding the basic user data, but it doesn't make sense to make users have to enter their address twice.   IMHO, it makes the website look like the shopping cart is not integrated with the rest of the website.   

CranialBlaze

Quote from: cas on November 27, 2011, 19:23:23 PM
To answer your question about "Which Joomla user profile?"...  Use the profile of the user who is registering at that time.  Since VM currently adds their basic user info into VM when a user registers, just add their address info at the same time.  This way a user doesn't have to add their address twice.   I'm not sure what the problem could be with adding the address data at the same time VM is adding the basic user data, but it doesn't make sense to make users have to enter their address twice.   IMHO, it makes the website look like the shopping cart is not integrated with the rest of the website.   

I fully understand milbos confusion as the J registration does not at any point ask for the users address, it asks for name, email, password and username. If the address is asked for during registration on your site then you are most certainly not using Joomla's standard registration which means you will either need to do the linking yourself, somehow convince the VM eam to take out time and de3velope a link between VM and your specific software or contact the vendor of that software and get them to do it.

Joomla's default registration has NEVER asked for a users physical address.
I don't believe, therefore it does not exist

Joomla 2.5 VM 2.0.2

cas

Quote from: CranialBlaze on November 28, 2011, 09:16:39 AM

In Joomla 1.7 there is the User Profile plugin.  When you turn it on, it allows you collect more user data such as the user's address.  Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. 

CranialBlaze

Quote from: cas on November 28, 2011, 09:34:27 AM
Quote from: CranialBlaze on November 28, 2011, 09:16:39 AM

In Joomla 1.7 there is the User Profile plugin.  When you turn it on, it allows you collect more user data such as the user's address.  Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. 

Ahh, never even knew that existed, however you could just as easily make VM's registration your sites default would make far more sense than having a pluggin written specially to pass the data from the default to VM when VM can simply become the default. A simple registration redirect pluggin will handle that for you and they are free. You just set it to redirect to the registration page for VM, if your asking for the extra info then why not do it where its actually needed.

A cross-link would only be really beneficial when your site uses something like Jomsocial or community builder.

Joomla 2.5 VM 2.0.2

cas

Glad you got to discover something new!   Rather than dealing with writing a redirect plugin or some other custom-coded plugin to maintain, since VM already adds the basic user info into VM during the Joomla user registration, all I'm requesting is to have VM add a couple of extra fields (address) at the same time it's adding the basic info.  This is a much cleaner solution and it helps everyone.  Plus it would make Joomla & VM appear seamless to the user.   I know the VM guys are busy trying to get to a stable release, but it never hurts to make suggestions they hopefully can put into a future release someday and have a better product in the end. 

CranialBlaze

Quote from: cas on November 28, 2011, 11:21:35 AM
Glad you got to discover something new!   Rather than dealing with writing a redirect plugin or some other custom-coded plugin to maintain, since VM already adds the basic user info into VM during the Joomla user registration, all I'm requesting is to have VM add a couple of extra fields (address) at the same time it's adding the basic info.  This is a much cleaner solution and it helps everyone.  Plus it would make Joomla & VM appear seamless to the user.   I know the VM guys are busy trying to get to a stable release, but it never hurts to make suggestions they hopefully can put into a future release someday and have a better product in the end. 

Why would you want to write a pluggin when a number of them already exist on the JED, too busy to go find it now but a user wrote 1 that not tied to any component, it redirects the joomla registration to whatever url you specify in its settings. Its a seamless process that should take no more than 2 minutes.

Joomla 2.5 VM 2.0.2

cas

Quote from: CranialBlaze on November 28, 2011, 11:37:58 AM
Why would you want to write a pluggin when a number of them already exist on the JED, too busy to go find it now but a user wrote 1 that not tied to any component, it redirects the joomla registration to whatever url you specify in its settings. Its a seamless process that should take no more than 2 minutes.

I guess we just see the solution differently.  I know I can solve it for me, but that means everyone else using VM either has a live with it as is, or has to research and learn how to solve it for themselves.  I prefer a solution that solves the problem for everyone.  That's why I suggested the VM team can just add a couple of extra address fields to the exiting VM program that creates the VM user profile from the Joomla user profile.  Anyway, thanks for your advice and have a great week!  What would we do without all the great folks around the world willing to help us!  Thanks!

CranialBlaze

Quote from: cas on November 28, 2011, 20:01:54 PM
Quote from: CranialBlaze on November 28, 2011, 11:37:58 AM

I guess we just see the solution differently.  I know I can solve it for me, but that means everyone else using VM either has a live with it as is, or has to research and learn how to solve it for themselves.  I prefer a solution that solves the problem for everyone.  That's why I suggested the VM team can just add a couple of extra address fields to the exiting VM program that creates the VM user profile from the Joomla user profile.  Anyway, thanks for your advice and have a great week!  What would we do without all the great folks around the world willing to help us!  Thanks!

I agree with your idea, but it sounds like you need a more immediate solution which would be a pluggin, a centralized registration without the need for additional modification will make life easier for the lot.

As for new users, they probably will not notice when they first start out, i been working with Joomla since 1.0.12 and i just found out about this very useful new pluggin, chances that a complete noob wont find it either, nor will he find a pluggin for registration redirection, hell he probably wont even know what to search for.

Weather or not VM implements that is entirely up to them, i know very little about databases and the php used to run them, i know enough to modify existing files properly wihtout breaking a site, but to me it seems like it should not be too challenging to add a query to check if said pluggin is enabled and then check which of the fields are being written to the dtb and then mirror the existing info, but that also depends on weather or not users start using said pluggin.

Veteran VM users like myself never had that option with previous versions so our first though will be for a registration redirect pluggin as that was the only solution and it was a working and very simple to implement solution. For guys like myself weather or not VM implements this integration is the essential saving of 60 seconds of work, enabling an existing pluggin instead of downloading, installing and enabling another 1.

Joomla 2.5 VM 2.0.2