News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Custom message when 0 Results are found in a product search

Started by butchtones, November 22, 2011, 20:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchtones

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to figure my way around in planning a project and I'm hoping that someone can help me with a solution. I think I need to have a custom message to suggest how to input information (something like how to enter an account and routing number on a check) but if you have a better solution I'm all ears!

Sample problem:
My SKU is:   12A345
The manufacture number is: F012A345AAA4
Notice we need the user to drop the first 2 numbers and last 4 alpha/number combo.  This could vary.

We will only be entering our SKU.  From what I've read results will be found if too FEW characters are entered but not if too many are. 

What I think I need is a custom error message that give suggestions on how to enter information and a sample image. 

What do you think?  If my solution is the best could you tell me how to do it? Or, if you suggest something else could you tell me about that and how to get those results.

Thank you,
Kerri

PRO

why dont you put the full product number in the "Internal Notes" field. Then allow that field to be searched?

Otherwise. I dont see anything you do being user friendly.

butchtones

I agree with you and down the line they may implement that.  There are currently 3,000 products in their catalog with only their SKU. On the off chance that someone comes in with the FULL manufacture code they want to offer an alternative or suggestions on how to find it in the search returns 0 field.

Is this possible?

Also - thanks for your super fast response!

PRO

yes thats possible.

How you do it can be many ways.

At the top of the category view file. There us an if statement if search {}

You could place your own html there.

erik.demartiis

Quote from: BanquetTables.pro on November 22, 2011, 20:40:10 PM
yes thats possible.
How you do it can be many ways.
At the top of the category view file. There us an if statement if search {}
You could place your own html there.

Can you specify the path of the file please?

But maybe I have a different problem.
I want to show a page that say to the user: "Hey, you have searched for an item that not exist".
Now if I search a product that is not in the shop, the result is: my layout, with the center of the page totally white.

How I can show a page: Product not found?

Thank you

Best regards
Erik