News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Adding additional files eg product instructions/specs NOT downloads.

Started by craig_wild, November 16, 2011, 05:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craig_wild

Apologies if this has been discussed but I couldn't find it anywhere in this area while searching.

In VM 1.1.x you could add additional files to a product as well as images. These were not downloadable products but things like product specs or instructions say.

I did manage to get a pdf into the Media Manager via product images upload but it trys to open the pdf in a lightbox as an image.

Is the idea to add this as a plugin or is there a way to do this i've missed? I can just link in this stuff via the description for now but i'd be nice to have this.

One issue I did notice though is under products, clicking on the Media (1) etc comes up with a blank list and doesn't show that media?

Thanks. (VM 1.9.8M, J1.7)

Lindhardsen

I bump this thread... Does anyone know the answer to this one?

By the way, is there a manual for VM2, that would answer this kind of questions? I have not been able to find one  :-[

channelvision

I also need to upload spec sheets and instruction manuals on my product pages. Please someone advise me how to do this, it is very important.

kriz

I would like to know how to do this

there are various products which have brochures :(

kriz

nunomigpe

Hi all

They say in the frontpage off version 2.0.2 that can handles download files in media, try everything and i cann´t see where i can put the pdf that is in media, in the product.

There is no way that we can say to the software go to media and attach this pdf for download.

I managed to upload the pdf and say that´s a pdf for download, i cann´t figure out where can i say to the product to pick up that file, or in the media if i open the file i cann´t put the product name so it appears on that product.

In 1.1.9 was very simple to do this.

Can anyone please help us out here?????

Best Regards

Studio 42

Hi,
PLZ try
http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/390/com_virtuemart.2.0.3_extract_first.zip
for the PDF Problem or some attached files in product details

And use role downloadable

Milbo

Sorry, I see this post now the first time. It should also work with vm2.0.2. Just upload a media and activate downloadable. In that moment this image is downloadable. Example http://virtuemart.cloudaccess.net/extensions-virtuemart-2/quantity-related-calculation-detail  look on the second image, the pdf icon. You can directly download it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

nunomigpe

Hi there

That´s what i need to do.

But  in VM 2.0.2 i try to put the file (pdf) as a image on a product and it dosen´t appear on the product.

I can see him in media but not in the product like a second image.

Should i make a PDF foto???

How you did that, that is what i need, for a wine store to have the pdf info about the wine.

Best Regards

PS: Great job on VM 2

jenkinhill

This is how I have added pdf datasheets to products (using VirtueMart 2.0.3a on Joomla 2.5.2).

1. Uploaded via ftp the pdf files into the product media directory -  joomla_root/images/stories/virtuemart/product  (you could use Joomla's media uploader for this, but ftp is quick for multiple files)

2. Open VirtueMart Shop/Media File list  - and Synchronize media to VirtueMart

3. Still in the media list edit each of the files and make them downloadable, enter a suitable title to be displayed (Displayed image title) and I also enter the "Used thumb url" for a 50x50 pdf icon I have uploaded to use rather than the default larger icon.

4. Open a product, go to the Custom Fields tab and create a Custom Field Type - Photo (even though it is a pdf file), select the file from the dropdown list and save.

5. The file appears as my pdf logo on the product details page with its title underneath. The standard display is not good for datasheets, so I have edited the default_customfields.php template to suit my site and set it as an override. Further styling can be accomplished using css added (in my case) to the Joomla template css.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Pirosoft

Parsimonious

Is there anyway to organize the dropdown list of files? I have hundreds of images and they're all there in no discernible order which makes this very time consuming.

captainahab

Hi All

this might be a hack or whatever, but this is what I've done and it works....

<?php
$pdf_download = 'images/stories/virtuemart/product/'.$this->YagProduct->sku.'.pdf';

if (file_exists($pdf_download)) {
   ?>
   <div id="product_pdf_download">
      <a href="<?php echo $pdf_download; ?>" target="blank">Download Datasheet</a>
   </div>   
   <?php } ?>

So all I've done is copied all the pdf's into the product folder and made sure they've got the same name as the SKU

that mod is in the productdetails/default.php

Hope it helps someone...

James

jenkinhill

@captainahab That's a good solution, remember to use it in a template override, though, so it will not get overwritten during a VM update.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum