News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

csv import

Started by dsrpmedia, November 15, 2011, 23:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsrpmedia

Hi

I have a new site with several thousand products. I was assuming that I could use csvi to do my import, but apparently (according to their website) they have no plans of publishing a vm2 compatible version.

Is there any way to do a csv import into vm2, or is this version basically dead?

craig_wild

The article below seems to suggest it will be supported. It is certainly very useful in 1.1.x

QuoteSupport for VirtueMart 2 will be added to CSVI once the VirtueMart team has released a stable version to the general public. With the new CSVI 4 release it will be possible to support both VirtueMart 1.1.x and VirtueMart 2, this should be good news for everybody :)
http://www.csvimproved.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=759:looking-forward&catid=1:news

dsrpmedia

unfortunately right above that it says "Support for Joomla 1.6/1.7 will not be added to CSVI 4.0. The plan is to adapt CSVI for Joomla 1.8 when this is released."

so I guess as far as joomla 1.7 goes having csv import capability will be a no-go

PRO

I used phpmyadmin to import some product attributes in open office format  the other day with 2.0. It was pretty easy.

dsrpmedia

that makes sense, if you are good at writing sql queries - but an sql query to import 1k products with descriptions, images etc would be pretty complicated to write would it not?

PRO

dsrpmedia

that is what I use to create the csv files that I import through csvi in joomla 1.5 / vm 1.1 - do you mean I can use phpmyadmin to import a csv file without having to write a query for it?

do the column headings stay the same as they would for a csvi import?

PRO

create a product.

THEN, export the product table. Open office spreadsheet format. (column header included)

THEN, paste the new products into the columns of the files you exported.

dsrpmedia

awesome, I will give it a try

RFreund

How did you export the product? CSVI?

Thanks.

PRO

attached

[attachment cleanup by admin]

dominiosclave

any other method or tool for more good import/export data?

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum