News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

More than one parent level in custom fields

Started by Elnino, November 09, 2011, 23:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elnino

Hi,

I just noticed you can't have two levels of parents in custom fields. Indeed the last parent category does not show up in the parent selection.

Let me explain:

I have a custom field A which is a parent
I have a custom field B which is a parent. A is the parent of B.
I have a custom field C which is a string. I want B to be the parent of C. Unfortenately B does not show up in the parent field selection.

If by default you don't want few levels of parents then something should prevent users to select a parent for a custom field if this field is already a parent.
If by default you want to allow this then there's a bug in the parent field selection.

Cheers

Studio 42

Hi,
The parent are to do "groups"
But we never have think to use it as you explain and in this case the handle of child from child are false.
We must add some more code to do it so, but i think it must be another structure to solve your problem.

PRO

Elnino, explain a REAL product that does this. To understand what you are trying to accomplish

Elnino

Of course I can give you an example.
I'm trying to set up an artisanal tibetan products store.

Let's take tibetan bowls as an example. There are classical 1st level attributes named color for example.
Then you may create a group of attributes specific to tibetan bowls. Let's call it "tibetan bowl attributes group". It may includes:

• Musical chord (string)
  • Material (bronze, 7 metals, gold ...) (string list)
  • Decorated (boolean)

Now what I wanted is a specific group attributes that applies only to "bronze tibetan bowls" and not to all tibetan bowls. So I wanted to created a nested attributes group "bronze bowls attributes" within "tibetan bowls attributes group". This bronze tibetan bowls attributes group would have

• % of pure bronze
  • % of alloy
  • geographical origin of bronze

But it's not possible to have a group within a group right now as explained earlier.

Now it's not a really big deal if I can't do that, the group tibetan bowls attributes group could be simply a 1st level attributes group but the thing is if you have tons of different custom fields/groups that can be really messy at the end if they're not sorted hierarchically. Anyway there's something to be fixed anyway in this parent selection stuff: either allow a sub parent display in the parent selection list or prevent it for being created.

Just some thoughts!

Cheers.