Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Custom field images display

Started by cas, November 04, 2011, 05:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milbo

Jenkinhill said already anything
Quote from: jenkinhill on July 15, 2013, 23:27:26 PM
The 60/40 split is better for the many who have requested the new main image replace feature where there are more than one product image, as it allows a larger image size to be used.

Quote from: Hutson on July 16, 2013, 11:08:34 AM
But the VM team have decided to change the core template to meet, what they think, is the greater need.
Reversion of code - and asking for this  "never to be changed"  would hinder progress forever.

Furthermore it is quite easy to understand that the future is more important than the past. Maybe there were already 10k shops done, okey, but 100k will follow, got it Cas?

Quote from: cas on July 16, 2013, 19:45:29 PM
But then Milbo just decided to change

Should I take this personal? I "just" did it. Yeh, without any thinking, careless, without looking back.

Taking the statistic that you are the only person being loud means that the most people agree with the changes... and that it was not "just decided to change". It was WELL THOUGHT DECIDED TO CHANGE IT !

Despite that, you JUST think it should that way. Never thought about that? Then please go inside you, go out meditate and learn selfreflexion, thank you.

And Cas, really waht you do is unfair. You stole already more than an hour of my time about this topic, months ago and now you make hte community crazy, okey go ahead, but I wont answer anylonger.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Milbo,

I did not bring it up again.  It was other members sending me emails and asking me how to get custom field images working, since my previous posts with attached files do not work anymore based on the change you made to the 50/50 split.  I had to tell them the attached files do not work anymore and they need to make more adjustments in order to get it to work.  I was just helping the people impacted by the change.  Then other members jumped into the conversation to ask me what was different.  I just answered their questions truthfully.   I long ago gave up on expecting any help on this topic.   

jjk

Personally I don't care whether it is a 50/50 split or a 60/40 or whatever. I'm using a template override for more than a year now setting it to 48/52, because this perfectly fits my images/dropdown selections. And because I tend to forget what I've changed, I maintain an unpublished Joomla article where I make a note of all changes, including the relevant original and customized code snippets and file locations. Pretty easy. And like most shop owners, I'm lazy and don't try every new feature  on my live website every time there is an update available. Usually I check my overrides only if they don't work anymore, which is very rare.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

cas

Great point JJk.  It's not worth changing it unless something is broke, which is why I requested to just keep it like it was so it didn't brake existing sites, and my tips here on Custom Field Images will work for other folks going forward.   Oh well, I tried.

jjk

Just an additional note - in case you forgot about that:
Instead of using a template override to change the container width, you can alternatively place a renamed copy of the 'default.php' in the \components\com_virtuemart\views\productdetails\tmpl folder, which holds the 50/50 split. This has the advantage, that the shop owner can select i.e. 'my50-50default' from the dropdown list at Configuration > Templates > Shopfront Settings > Product Layout and also can switch to the original layout any time.

cas

Thanks JJK.  I appreciate the tip.   So what does it take to get a simple request like this approved? 

AH

Cas

Milbo has already stated that this change will not be reverted, as the team think it looks better.

Do an override as suggested by JJK

the energy you have expended in this post could have been used to complete the small task of setting an override?

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

jjk

Quote from: cas on July 17, 2013, 08:33:13 AM
So what does it take to get a simple request like this approved? 
Oh, that's no secret - you have to convince the chief developer(s) that your arguments are better than theirs. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose  :)

Milbo

Quote from: Hutson on July 17, 2013, 09:10:13 AM
the energy you have expended in this post could have been used to complete the small task of setting an override?

ah 10 times the energy, with the discussions with me it was the energy for the updates for the next 10 years. But better 2 hours of mine, then 1 hour for 70% of all vm2 shops.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Milbo,

I'm happy to put this behind us, but just to set the record straight, when I first asked you to help me by simply setting the split back to 50/50, you said, "I would need to take a survey of all the VM users to see what they preferred, and then you might consider my request".   Do you honestly think you were being reasonable by setting an impossible bar for me to achieve?  I just hope going forward you will be more reasonable with such simple requests. 

Take care,
Chuck     

Maxim Pishnyak

cas, you're so busy person that you need to read more carefully my previous post.
Quote from: Maxim Pishnyak on July 16, 2013, 12:30:30 PM
Aren't you support your web sites?
Aren't you not update them if that is necessary?
Is it too big problem for you to support your customers?
And to decide is it necessary to use or NOT to use newer 60/40 option?

Your personally don't like 60/40?
Leave then your 50/50 proportion.
As simple as that.

You have other people opinions that 50/50 is better?
And wonna tell here about that?
Fine.
Why not create civilized petition about this elsewhere?
Ofc if you so inclined about this.
You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews
Join us at
https://twitter.com/virtuemart

cas

Hi Maxim,

Let's put this behind us.  It's not about overrides, and I would love an honest and civil discussion about this topic.  Unfortunately, this was not the choice I was given.  My last post explains it all.  I spent the time working with Banquet to get Custom Field Images to finally work properly with sites that have a large number of images, and I documented it in this topic with attachments to help others.  So then when someone broke it in the last release, I made a very simple request to please consider putting it back to help everyone impacted.  But my simple request was met with a ridiculous demand that I must run a poll of all VM users before my request will even be considered.  Clearly this was a request I could never satisfy, and simply designed to make me go away.  I hope you agree this is not how to make VM a better product when someone is setting a bar that no one like me can reach.   So hopefully now you see the real problem has nothing to do with a technical solution like overrides.  I truly wish you good luck in fixing the real problem to prevent it from happening to me or anyone else going forward.     

Take care,
Chuck

AH

Glad your finally letting this ridiculous thread go!

Do an override, with the time it took you to type the alast couple of posts you would have been done by now and could have spent more time relaxing!

Lesson for us all somewhere in this thread!
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Milbo

Quote from: cas on July 17, 2013, 23:40:20 PM
you said, "I would need to take a survey of all the VM users to see what they preferred, and then you might consider my request".

Yes, but I did not emphasize the word "all".

Quote from: Maxim Pishnyak on July 18, 2013, 13:05:16 PM
Why not create civilized petition about this elsewhere?

This is what I meant with it. Do a poll so that we can see the mood of people about it. Personally I do not care. In this case the majority decides.

cas

Milbo,

How do I do a poll of VM users?   My concern with a poll is that the only people who care about this are the people like me who use Custom Field Images and were impacted by the recent change.   I think the bigger consideration to help you decide is the hard work Banquet Pro put into this back in Nov 2011 when it was coded and moved into production, and all the folks who benefited by the good documentation and the attachment in this topic to make setting up custom field images easy.  You can see all the earlier posts in this topic to appreciate all the hard work Pro did to get custom field images to work, and then my efforts to test it and to document it to help others.  The later posts are from folks who now cannot get it to work since the split was changed from 50/50 to 60/40.  I know the fix is easy, but many less technical folks are now asking for help.  I just hope you considered these folks when you decide what to do.  Good luck. 

Take care,
Chuck