News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Custom field images display

Started by cas, November 04, 2011, 05:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dariete79@gmail.com

How can I modify such split? Which file should I change?Tks for the help

cas

It would be best to write to Milbo to ask him to put the Product Details page split back to 50/50% split like it was before, rather than the 60/40% split that he has it set to now.  Otherwise you will be stick like me always dealing with an override every time a new version of VM comes out. 

But if you have to change the file, it is at: \components\com_virtuemart\views\productdetails\tmpl\default.php

Go to lines 293 & 305, and make them both 50%.

Good luck!

Maxim Pishnyak

Quote from: cas on July 15, 2013, 19:11:35 PM
Otherwise you will be stick like me always dealing with an override every time a new version of VM comes out. 
... \components\com_virtuemart\views\productdetails\tmpl\default.php
Isn't using template override could resolve forever such potential problem?
You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
[url="https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews"]https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews[/url]
Join us at
[url="https://twitter.com/virtuemart"]https://twitter.com/virtuemart[/url]

cas

The override only makes sure you don't lose your changes, but then you do not get the new "good stuff" in the new release unless you do a file match and update your override file with all the new stuff.  So you are still stuck checking your override file every time a new release comes out if you want the new good stuff.  Why Milbo changed that file after everyone had their websites done, is a mystery to me, but I just wish better judgement would return and he would put the file back to the way it was for all this time, until just the last release.   Maybe you could do what I did and send him your cards and letters requesting he put it back to a 50/50% split like it always was before. 

jenkinhill

The 60/40 split is better for the many who have requested the new main image replace feature where there are more than one product image, as it allows a larger image size to be used. Personally I always create overrides anyway so rarely have to bother with layout changes in VM updates.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

cas

Kelvyn,

I am not arguing the merits of which way is better, it's just very bad timing to do it at the end when all of us had our websites done.  If this is a better layout for you, then you do the override, but leave everyone else like me alone who had their websites done.   Now everyone needs to do the override just to get their websites working again, or in my case, I always do the file match to look for new updates inside that file.  It's a real pain for us who had our websites done, and it could easily be fixed if someone on the VM team would just put it back the way it was for all this time.    Please Kelvyn, can you help me and put it back to 50/50 ?

AH

To put it "back"

Would using a copy of the old view as an override work for you?

Yes you might miss all the "good" stuff, but unless the team crete a listing of the release changes for the views,in some detail, it is difficult to work out what you might be missing!

I tend to use my own image view override to implement a zoom feature and "swappabble" secondary images as I much refer zoom to fancybox etc
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

cas

Hi Hutson,

Yes, I as mentioned an override will work, but why should everyone who had their websites done and working well have to do an override now just because one person decided to change the base, when it worked perfectly fine as it was.  I'm just asking them to put it back like it was for all this time so we don't have to deal with overrides going forward.  I was the person who worked with Banquet for days to get the custom field images to work properly, so that's why I have a vested interest in it.  I just hope someone on the VM team will help.   

Cheers!       

AH

But the VM team have decided to change the core template to meet, what they think, is the greater need.

Applying an override is such a common practice and that is what you should have done when working with Banquet, you chose to update the core, which will result in your changes being "lost".

Reversion of code - and asking for this  "never to be changed"  would hinder progress forever.

So do the override and don't worry about the core code changing (until of course, you want to take some of the improvements!)
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

cas

The greater good... are we talking about curing cancer or a simple request from someone who took the time to get it to work in the first place.   Sometime we help those who have invested their time and effort to help us in the past.  I am not asking for a change, just to keep the split 50/50 the way it was.  I doubt if anyone would care but me since I have websites with many custom field images, so what's the problem to help me?  Maybe I am asking for too much, but thanks for the consideration and have a good day. 

Cheers   

Maxim Pishnyak

Don't get what is your problem, Cas.

Aren't you support your web sites?
Aren't you not update them if that is necessary?
Aren't VM Team doesn't provide on regular bases manuals how to update template overrides (com_virtuemart.2.0.8_layout_changes, com_virtuemart.2.0.10_layout_changes, com_virtuemart.2.0.12_layout_changes, com_virtuemart.2.0.14_layout_changes, com_virtuemart.2.0.14_to_2.0.16_layout_changes)?

IF you have problems with not knowing how to update specific file from specific older VM version to the newest one, I'm sure VM developers could share with us another com_virtuemart.2.X.XX_layout_changes.

Regards.
You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
[url="https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews"]https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews[/url]
Join us at
[url="https://twitter.com/virtuemart"]https://twitter.com/virtuemart[/url]

AH

Cas

You misquoted me "Greater need", not "greater good". VM is important, but not that important  :D
I was simply trying to say that you can add an override to get the display to what you previously had and what you want.

Yes it is a massive pain when the core templates change.

We all try and help as best we can, but sometimes our work gets left behind and not added to core, this has happened to all of us and we end up having to either keep our mods alive or let them go.

In your case your are fortunate that you can apply an override

I, in no way, meant to belittle your efforts!
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

cas

Hi Hudson,

I understand and was just explaining the background, and hoping I can find someone on the VM team who cares enough about us little folks out here who invest our valuable time to help make VM a better product.  Just to clarify, all my changes for the custom field images did get implemented by Banquet, so everything was working perfectly for all my websites without dealing with overrides, plus numerous other folks that reached out to me from this post that I was able to help get their sites working.  But then Milbo just decided to change the split from 50/50 to 60/40 for the last release and screwed up everyone's websites with custom field images.  Unfortunately, I'm told to just do an override and go away.  Well my argument is that since I took the time to make custom field images work when one one else did, then let my hard work stand, and have the folks who didn't do the work deal with overrides.  Anyway, I have honestly given up in frustration over this simple request, but will hold out hope that maybe you will help now that you know the background.  I won't hold my breath, but it would be greatly appreciated. 

Take care,
Chuck 

AH

Cas

I understand

I have passed this post onto Milbo to see what he thinks.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

cas

Thanks for trying Hudson!  I really appreciate it.