The good news is that the latest default.php in the svn has all the changes we made before, except for one. On line 202 the tooltip needs a line break at the end. I added that line break in the attached default.php file. Otherwise it's good to go.
I also took the latest vmsite-ltr.css file from the svn and added the css additions at the end of the file. You can decide to integrate them better, but it works fine with my changes as is.
FYI, I did find one new problem in the new default.php. On line 128: class="product-image" was changed to class="medium-image", so the vmsite-ltr.css, which still has ".product-image" is not matching, and thus the main image is not controlled by the vmsite-ltr.css anymore. In addition, now when hovering over the additional images, the main image shrinks to the small thumbnail size, so this is a problem too. It needs to display the full size image when hovering over the additional images. Anyway, this has nothing to do with what I'm doing with the custom field images, but just wanted to bring it to your attention so you can fix it before the next release comes out.
[attachment cleanup by admin]