News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Custom Attribute - suggestions

Started by cristi, October 28, 2011, 05:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cristi

I've been playing with virtuemart 2 for quite some time now and i can say that it's nicer that previous versions until you get to custom attributes.

One thing nice in v1. is that you can add a comma and you'll separate the values-> color: red,white,blue (this will give you an select box with the color option)
In v2. you have to add each value under "Custom Field Type" separately. If you have 3 colors it's fine, but if you have 20 colors that will take alot of time. And let's not  talk about "Size" attribute, if you have to enter the width of a product from 1-50 for example; for each product. (just give me a gun)

Style for custom attribute, or should i say no style at all, since the values are displayed all over the table. you should be able to add a line break \n in between fields if you need to specially for sites that are heavy in custom fields.  I have one site where i have up to 9 custom fields for 1 product.

Group more custom attributes in to 1; I think you should be able to group more attributes and values and not enter it for each product. For example if you build/sell computers, and you have your customer to chose the components  (monitor size, processor, box color, audio....) you should have 1 attribute with all sub_attributes under, so when you add a new product to be able to load attribute_custom_options at once.

that's all i have for now, if you think of anything else, reply here.

Studio 42

Hi cristi,
in case you must have specific customfield , you can do product plugin's.
And plugin can be customised with javascript,css.

You can add default settings for colors with a list of hundred colors, or why not a color picker in BE or flash....

I know you prefer it as you wish, but all user want customize it or have specific use, then with doing your own plugin, you can imagine how you want it and not dependent on vm dev team.

Greets,

Patrick

balai

Hi Patrick

I really like that plugins could be used to extend that feature even more.

But because we have no example of such plugin, could you be more specific how this can be used?

I mean will give some Frontend functionality or backend?
will be displayed something else in the customfield tab of the products form or something else that i m missing?

cristi

That sounds good; is there a demo some where to see how it's work. I'll try to play with it in the next few days to see if I can figure it out... I think the big challenge here is for people ( and me) to better understaing how to use this fields/plugins.

If anybody have a demo with custom fields/plugins please post link here

Thanks.

zzsser

"VM Custom , Customer text input" is a simple custom field plugin but the other "VM Custom, stockable variants" is more difficult to understand. Does anybody is able to use it ?

cristi

Reading others topics to, I now understaind that plugins are the way to go using multiple options for products.
If anyone know how to use this, here's a scenario for you

For a site that sales for example window blinds ( as one of my sites do)  8)

You have - 4 products with the following attributes:

-2" wood blinds-size( from 12-60) length ( from 12-90), wood color ( 10-15 colors), cord position ( right or left), valance option (3-4 options)
-1" wood blinds - same as the above attribute
- PVC blinds - same as the above
- aluminum blinds - same as above

As you see all the attributes values are the same, so they can be shared by all 4 products. How to do that?
Please be specific and include any option possible since this this topic can help others in there site...