News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Current version not worth it to work with

Started by stevie97, October 27, 2011, 02:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie97

I have been watching and testing the different betas and release candidate versions for a while and have not found one that would be trustworthy for an install. However, I tried now the latest release as it seemed to be qualifying based on the feedback I read. However, there are too many serious issues imo that do not justify this. For example simply uploading a simple image to a product (png file) caused not only the disappearance of the product, simply the entire Joomla site disappeared into a blank white window including the administration window, no chance to login or recover, all that is left is a complete reinstall of everything. I think I have to stay away for the sites I used to use VM until it will run stable for at least a year and have to use other shopping solutions that do not cause such a dramatic crash. I understand beta status and I understand that there might be still issues and bugs. However, I have been working with software development, testing etc for a very long time. this one is not ready yet.

Vincentatweb

Letterhead

Quote from: stevie97 on October 27, 2011, 02:11:10 AM
I have been watching and testing the different betas and release candidate versions for a while and have not found one that would be trustworthy for an install. However, I tried now the latest release as it seemed to be qualifying based on the feedback I read. However, there are too many serious issues imo that do not justify this. For example simply uploading a simple image to a product (png file) caused not only the disappearance of the product, simply the entire Joomla site disappeared into a blank white window including the administration window, no chance to login or recover, all that is left is a complete reinstall of everything. I think I have to stay away for the sites I used to use VM until it will run stable for at least a year and have to use other shopping solutions that do not cause such a dramatic crash. I understand beta status and I understand that there might be still issues and bugs. However, I have been working with software development, testing etc for a very long time. this one is not ready yet.

Without being rude and merely addressing your points raised, i had the same problem, search for a solution and resolved it, by changing the file permissions, it was a weird problem, this took 1 hour to find a solution and resolve.

For you to openly suggest that VM2 is buggy and should be avoided for about a year, i would like to understand from what position you say this, because for me VM1 is like to soup kitchen to small businesses, helping them to make sales online, FREE.

VM2 (even before the release) is like a Food hall to small and large businesses alike, and should be considered as good as a discovery as bread was when bread was first made, this product helps thousands of people feed thier families.

Yes it might have minor issues, which is why it's a release candidate, yes it might not be a stable release yet, but hey, if you play with it, you will discover an amazing product, that is free in it's basic form, and, VM2 in it's basic form is one of the best products you will find, so please instead of suggesting avoiding it for a year and spending your time ranting, spend your time helping, you will feel much better. when you find a minor issue, solve it or share it, this is much much better than just ranting and doing nothing.

I write this with no rudeness and respect, but this is my opinion