News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[solved] Category module not working properly in IE 8

Started by cas, October 13, 2011, 01:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cas

The Category module works fine with FireFox 7, but does not work properly with IE 8.  In the Category module admin when I set the 'Child Category Display' to "Only Active Category" or "Accordion Effect", it does not display properly in IE8.   Check out my test website in both browsers to see the difference:  http://www.designerfurniturecenter.com.   You can see in IE the little white down arrow keep repeating and drives the display off the screen.

Can someone help?   

Thanks,
Chuck

Stannite

same problem here.
only, when i select all category, it is displayed correctly. any advice anyone?

cas

I just updated to the new version i. and it still has the same problem.  And I don't want to use the 'All Category' option because it expands open all the subcategories and takes up too much real estate and makes user navigation more confusing when so many categories are visible.

Any help from the VM team to fix the Category module to work with IE8 when the 'Child Category Display' is set to "Only Active Category" or "Accordion Effect"?

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

I updated to version J and it's working correctly now.  Thanks to the VM team!

Thanks,
Chuck

PRO

Quote from: cas on October 13, 2011, 01:25:46 AM
The Category module works fine with FireFox 7, but does not work properly with IE 8.  In the Category module admin when I set the 'Child Category Display' to "Only Active Category" or "Accordion Effect", it does not display properly in IE8.   Check out my test website in both browsers to see the difference:  http://www.designerfurniturecenter.com.   You can see in IE the little white down arrow keep repeating and drives the display off the screen.

Can someone help?   

Thanks,
Chuck

cas, nice site. BUT I would get the component/virtuemart out of the urls

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=88977.0

cas

Hi BanquetTables.pro,

I agree the component/virtuemart shouldn't be in the URL, and I read the link you sent (thanks!), but I still don't understand how to simply remove it.  I don't think it makes sense for us to build separate menu items for all the categories & subcategories.  I use the main menu 'VM Categories Layout' in the component area, and the 'VM Category Module' in the sidebar area to link to the categories and products, so shouldn't VM handle the URL properly?  I'm confused. 

Thanks,
Chuck   

nflmerch

I was having all sorts of layout issues in IE 8  but I didn't post about it because I thought it was just problems with my template, and chalked it up to the inherant css problems with an old browser that I would eventually have to fix. 
But subrelease J fixed all my layout issues in IE 8!   :D

Cas, I made a joomla menu item for menu type "VirtueMart Default Layout".  I named mine Shop.  I then Unpublished the menu module so it can't be seen. 
Now my URLs looks like this:  my_site/index.php/shop/hand_tools
And my breadcrumbs looks like this:  Home >Shop >Hand Tools

BanquetTables.pro, is that a correct way of doing that?

cas

I fixed the URL problem by switching the main menu type from 'VirtueMart Categories Layout' to 'VirtueMart Default Layout'.  All works well now. Check it out:  http://www.designerfurniturecenter.com

Now the only question is the URL when in the shopping cart... should it be: www.mysite.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=cart
or is there a way to simplify that URL?

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

This is resolved.  All is working well.  Thanks VM team! :)

Chuck

nflmerch

I enabled URL rewrite in the virtuemart admin and IIS7, and changed the web.config.txt to web.config.    Now my URLs are like this:

mysite.com/shop/hand_tools

Not sure how to get rid of the /shop (which is what I named the 'VirtueMart Default Layout' menu) like Cas has.  Should I worry about that or is what I have fine for SEO?

PRO

Create links to categories. And hide the main link. Dont unpublish it