How to list all products separate, for each manufacturer, on the same page

Started by Razva, September 28, 2011, 14:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razva

Hi,

We would like to make a small adjustment, and I suppose we need some small modifications.

The problem: our manufacturers don't want to be "randomized". For example, we have producer A and B. "ProducerA" has products Astro and Beta, and "ProducerB" has products "Alpha" and "Joomla". Right now, when having the default alphabetical sorting, the products are listed as follows: Alpha, Astro, Beta, Joomla. As you can see, products from ProducerA are between ProducerB's products, which is not good.

The solution: we would like to list the products on the same page, but listed by manufacturer. Example:

QuoteProducerA
Astro | Beta

ProducerB
Alpha | Joomla

Explanation: right now we're listing the products alphabetically, which is great. The problem is that we have 3-4 manufacturers. At the beginning we were thinking to sort the products by manufacturers, but then we realized that our clients will not be interested in selecting a manufacturer, as they really don't know what to choose.

So, the single solution would be to list all the products on the same page, based on the category, despite the manufacturer.

How can we accomplish this?

Thanks a lot!

grtrustme

Did you try to go to Configuration > Product Order Settings > Default product sort order > Manufacturer Name ?

grtrustme

Plus, you can override the default Category View and create your own in your template, where you can fix the presentation of your products mentioning the manufacturer in every group of products.

Razva

Quote from: grtrustme on September 30, 2011, 18:05:13 PM
Did you try to go to Configuration > Product Order Settings > Default product sort order > Manufacturer Name ?
Please look at the initial post: "right now we're listing the products alphabetically, which is great." So the products should be sorted alphabetically (which is functioning right now), but "split" by manufacturer.

Quote from: grtrustme on September 30, 2011, 18:10:09 PM
Plus, you can override the default Category View and create your own in your template, where you can fix the presentation of your products mentioning the manufacturer in every group of products.
Well that's the problem...we found no way on how to list a *specific* manufacturer in a part of a template, and I don't think it's possible. Or if it's possible...we didn't found any documentation regarding this, so we really need a "tip". If we would find a way to list the products *just* from a manufacturer in a specific part of the view...it would be awesome and solve our problem, as we could manually decide the manufacturer order.

Razva

Folks...I'm back at this problem, as it is the last thing I need to fix.

Can you please give me some tips of how to do such a view? I just need the code/variable in order to list the products from a SPECIFIC manufacturer...

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Razva

Quote from: Milbo on October 13, 2011, 20:32:00 PM
so you want order by name, but group by manufacturer?
That's exactly what I wanna do. List all the products alphabetically/by name, but group them by manufacturer.

slutsker

i also have the same problem

one way - to create subcategories and place products in them (for example)
- category phones
   -> man_1 phones
   -> man_2 phones
   -> man_3 phones
- category PC
   -> man_1 pc
   -> man_2 pc