News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Virtual products for download

Started by jontyvirtue, September 19, 2011, 11:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

variant

Milbo, please tell when you are planning to do this plugin?

Thank you for VM 2!

fbde12

Please, I (and likely others too) have critical decisions to make depending on the answer as to when approximately the plugin will be released.

Thank you!

blackrat999

ottis

Quote from: Milbo on October 24, 2011, 09:54:46 AM
I think we are ready with it soon. Lets assume the final is out in 1-2 weeks, then the downloadable is out in 2-3 weeks. Maybe we are faster, I am quite sure it is done for the christmas business.

oh lol  :o

On recent years I have created many webshops for business and organisations using Joomla. Everytime when I start choosing right eCommerce component I start with Virtuemart, and everytime I run into wall noticing that current Virtuemart is not compatible with latest Joomla! version or does not support standard eCommerce features like product download.
Thats not even worse, I could live with that if I know that compatible version, or most common features are under development, but you guys refuse to inform any relase day or publish any "night build" version of code that is under development.
Why did you guys release Virtuemart 2.0 when it is clear that its not ready?

Moantu

I am also deep anxious to use this improvement. May it be readied soon, it would be a sure shot in copyright bills while helping authors to be (re)awarded by their works!

Milbo

We are really hard working on it. We prepare the release and our shop and we need that plugin for our own shops. Most of it is already working. one of the last problems is that the download link is not in the email, only in the order, when the customer looks on the order view. But uploading in another directory, creating stream (not a permlink) is already working. Also fixed is the creation of downloadable media, creation of icons for it and things like this. So we are really near the goal :-)
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

concrete

Great. I have a shop where I want to sell downloadable products AND physical products. I just need to be able to differentiate between the two so that the customers do not have to input their address at checkout. From what I can tell this pluging will do that. Am I correct?

F22-Raptor

I can't wait for this plug-in. i want to use it with Joomla 1.7 and Moodle 2 to sell online courses.

Please let us know when the plug-in is ready.

Thanks for all your hard work.

brentonking

Sounds like this plugin will be fine to use in its current state. People can just reword the email to explain to the customer to go to their order view to get the download link?

Can it not be released as is now and then just update the plugin once it is complete?

orasis

Waiting for this plugin too. Going to build a digital music-store in Joomla 2.5 so waiting for Virtuemart 2 to be fully compatible with it also.

Questions:
I have the following thought.

Parent Product = Music Album
Child Products = Tracks

Will a user be able to buy the whole album using the add to cart button in the parent product ? Or how can such a music-store have such functioning in Virtuemart 2 ?

Also, are you thinking of adding an "New" button at "Shop > Media files" in the future ?

I want to congratulate you for the amazing work so far.
Keep it up.

Quote from: ottis on January 16, 2012, 10:14:28 AM
Quote from: Milbo on October 24, 2011, 09:54:46 AM
I think we are ready with it soon. Lets assume the final is out in 1-2 weeks, then the downloadable is out in 2-3 weeks. Maybe we are faster, I am quite sure it is done for the christmas business.

oh lol  :o

On recent years I have created many webshops for business and organisations using Joomla. Everytime when I start choosing right eCommerce component I start with Virtuemart, and everytime I run into wall noticing that current Virtuemart is not compatible with latest Joomla! version or does not support standard eCommerce features like product download.
Thats not even worse, I could live with that if I know that compatible version, or most common features are under development, but you guys refuse to inform any relase day or publish any "night build" version of code that is under development.
Why did you guys release Virtuemart 2.0 when it is clear that its not ready?

You are not in the spirit of the Virtuemart community. Virtuemart is FOSS. I say that again: Virtuemart is FOSS, so show some respect to this work. If you want things the way you do, look for something else, Virtuemart is not for you. There are plenty of commercial solutions. Pay and then complain Mr, especially to all those commercial solutions that are also released commercially while not ready.

jenkinhill

Quote from http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96945.0  announcing availability of VirtueMart 2.0.1 (now available in http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files )

"- media is now handling downloadables ( free download) and also files for sale in another directory then joomla, but uses thumbs in the joomla directory. This is extendable by a plugin. We are in the last testphase of it."
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

concrete

OldLodgeSkins

Hi,

I've just tried this but I must have missed a step... Here's what I've done:

* I've used a new install of 2.0.1f on J1.7.3 and added a new product, with a picture.
* Then I went to the products list, clicked on the "media" link of my product, added a ZIP archive and said it was for sale. It uploaded fine.
* I tried to buy the product, it checked out fine through PayPal sandbox, after payment I got sent back to a "thank you" message, no download link, no e-mail (my problem may be there? Should the download link be sent by e-mail?)
* Strangely, if I go check my product, the ZIP isn't there anymore. It's in the general media files, but it's not in the product's medias. Shouldn't it be associated with the product?

Any idea what I may have missed?

Thanks.

Seb.

PS: It's my first time trying to sell digital products... I've done several sites in the past with VM1 but never downloadable files...

Edit : got the e-mail after manually confirming the payment. The sandbox is still returning "pending" as it always has...  :-\ VM's not at fault.
Still no download link. I'm available to continue testing if that helps finalize it.

DavidAllenNeron

I am using Joomla 2.5.1, VirtueMart 2.0.1 K

I have no yet seen a simple and concise explanation of downloadable products yet .. either no one answers the question, they talk about a plug-in that no one has shared a link for yet.

1) Can You Sell Downloadable Products Yet?
2) How Can We Accomplish This?
3) If it is a plugin, can you please leave a link to it.

This is crucial to a good eCommerce solution.
I have used older versions of VirtueMart and had no problem selling downloadable products so it seems quite the step backwards for it not to be a main feature in future developments.
I really appreciate the hard work you guys put in, don't get me wrong. It just seems kind of disorganized right now.

freeme

Quote from: DavidAllenNeron on February 19, 2012, 01:49:48 AM
I am using Joomla 2.5.1, VirtueMart 2.0.1 K

I have no yet seen a simple and concise explanation of downloadable products yet .. either no one answers the question, they talk about a plug-in that no one has shared a link for yet.

1) Can You Sell Downloadable Products Yet?
2) How Can We Accomplish This?
3) If it is a plugin, can you please leave a link to it.

This is crucial to a good eCommerce solution.
I have used older versions of VirtueMart and had no problem selling downloadable products so it seems quite the step backwards for it not to be a main feature in future developments.
I really appreciate the hard work you guys put in, don't get me wrong. It just seems kind of disorganized right now.

Happy to get some answers on the above questions as well :)